Dealer add hitch to new truck

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Hi all, we're considering turning in our 2008 Ford ranger tow vehicle for a new Chevy Colorado. The dealer has one we like but it doesn't have the hitch receiver. It does have the tow mode option however. It doesn't make sense. Anyway, the dealer says they will install the Chevy brand receiver. Does this sound legit? Years ago the "tow package" used to include beefed up components such as trans cooler etc. So I'm a little Leary about them adding the receiver. We're towing roughly 3,000 lbs..give or take with surge brakes. What do you guys think?

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe better to take it to a place that just specializes in hitches and hauling....they'll be the experts in doing what you want since it's all they do.....

oldjeep

Admiral
Just have them add the factory hitch and wiring, you could tow 3000 lbs with a civic.

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
It's okay to have the dealer install the hitch...what's most likely happening is the dealer saw an opportunity to make so add'l money off the truck. By ordering the 'tow package' without the physical hitch, allows the dealer to have an adder on the MSRP, which put a few more dollars in their coiffeur...I would suggest being staunch in your negotiations and insist they put on the hitch as part of the agreed price...or go elsewhere?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Check the specs on the truck you are looking at. Does the Tow Mode option come with beefed up components?

oldjeep

Admiral
Check the specs on the truck you are looking at. Does the Tow Mode option come with beefed up components?

Tow/Haul is just a button for the transmission that comes on practically every truck built in the last 10+ years, has nothing to do with any sort of tow package.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
What's the tow rating of that truck? I'm sure it's pretty low. I wonder if you can even get trans/oil coolers on it from factory?

oldjeep

Admiral
What's the tow rating of that truck? I'm sure it's pretty low. I wonder if you can even get trans/oil coolers on it from factory?

Chevy Colorado are huge compared to what they used to be tow rating is 3500-7700 depending on configuration. Most of them are rated at 7K, only the little 4 banger gets you the 3500 rating. Neighbor of ours tows a car trailer with one.

Last edited:

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
A lot of the trailer packaged installed at the factory do not include the receiver, Just have the dealer install a factory hitch with the rating you want, if not sure of the rating then tell them you want a Class 4 hitch put on.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Tow mode option and a tow package are 2 completely different things. The weight you are towing you probably don't need a tow package but I personally wouldn't buy a truck without it. With a tow package you will get the hitch, factory tow wiring, trans cooler, oil cooler and depending on the make and model various other things such as heavy duty alternater, anti sway, suspension modification etc. if you tow your boat a lot, or in hot summer months, or over long up hill grades or mountains I would absolutely want a tow package. Actually even if none of the above I'd still opt for a tow package. Also should you decide sometime to get a larger boat if you already have a tow package you are good to go.

oldjeep

Admiral
I just looked at the Colorado build tool and there is no tow package available beyond the hitch/wiring package. Not real surprising since a lot of the truck brands have gone away from tow packages and just stick the big trans cooler in all the trucks. I know in my 2009 ram that dodge had done away with tow packages already and just put the HD stuff in everything.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Have the hitch and wiring included on the purchase contract, and have it installed before you take delivery of the vehicle.
That way it is part of the initial purchase, and covered under the factory warranty.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Having bought multiple GM trucks/SUV's for towing over the years, oddly enough the hardest thing to find on a slightly used one is the upgraded rear end ratio and the locking (not limited slip) differential. So many out there had all the appropriate towing accoutrements but the build sheet and the glove box rpo code list showed open diffs and the base ratio. They rely on the stability control (not the traction control) to 'lock' the wheels instead of buying the mechanical locker option which is like a hundred bucks.

oldjeep

Admiral
Having bought multiple GM trucks/SUV's for towing over the years, oddly enough the hardest thing to find on a slightly used one is the upgraded rear end ratio and the locking (not limited slip) differential. So many out there had all the appropriate towing accoutrements but the build sheet and the glove box rpo code list showed open diffs and the base ratio. They rely on the stability control (not the traction control) to 'lock' the wheels instead of buying the mechanical locker option which is like a hundred bucks.

All really depends on what and where you tow. I've intentionally got a truck with 3.21 gears for the highway mileage, the 6000lbs max I tow doesn't require low gears. In the past when trucks had almost 1/2 the HP and TQ it mattered a lot more - typically a bigger issue in GM's who just recently joined the rest of the field in terms of HP/TQ output on their most common engines.

thumpar

Admiral
Why not just look at one that came from the factory with it? That can't be the only Colorado around.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Chevy Colorado are huge compared to what they used to be tow rating is 3500-7700 depending on configuration. Most of them are rated at 7K, only the little 4 banger gets you the 3500 rating. Neighbor of ours tows a car trailer with one.

At one point the could tow a bicycle rack and that was about it, well, not really... I think they were 5 cylinders...

jkust

Rear Admiral
All really depends on what and where you tow. I've intentionally got a truck with 3.21 gears for the highway mileage, the 6000lbs max I tow doesn't require low gears. In the past when trucks had almost 1/2 the HP and TQ it mattered a lot more - typically a bigger issue in GM's who just recently joined the rest of the field in terms of HP/TQ output on their most common engines.

I don't know the Colorado because I need more cargo capacity, but I've got to think it doesn't have a large V8 to tow what someone mentioned as a 7000lb capacity. I will say though regardless of gears, a locking rear diff comes in hand in those really hairy spots. My rig is right around 6k lbs and the thing that really limits you at the exact moment you need the oomph of the V8 is the torque management. That just kills me that they do that in order to preserve the drive train. You can have the PCM remapped but that's rediculous to me. GM seemed to lag behind in the HP and TQ on their 5.3's instead forcing you to get a Yukon Denali or an Escalade to get their much more oomph 6.2. Of course for a used buyer, it just means you get a bargain and make due.

oldjeep

Admiral
At one point the could tow a bicycle rack and that was about it, well, not really... I think they were 5 cylinders...

Yeah, they used to be more S10 sized - now they are almost as big as the older silverados, with an i4, V6 and diesel option

thumpar

Admiral
One thing to watch for with the with the GMs is the factory hitch is usually only rated for 5k lbs. It is more than enough for what you need but if you plan on towing something bigger at some point it might be better to just get aftermarket. My Yukon says right on the bumper 5k lbs / 500 lbs tongue weight right in the plastic on the bumper but that is the factory hitch. It is rated for around 8k with aftermarket hitch.