Tongue weight?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
So I have a situation that is a little concerning perhaps. It seem like I have little to no tongue weight, when I push it down the clasp on the hitch it holding the trailer on the ball.

thumpar

Admiral
You want to have right around 10% of the total weight as the tongue weight.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
More than 10% is far better than less. Right up to the max tongue weight for the hitch/tow vehicle.

Look at a semi truck... When that trailer is full its quite possible for 50% of the weight to be on the truck's hitch.

Too light presents problems with higher chance of the hitch popping free and trailer sway which can overpower the tow vehicle's steering, leaving boat, trailer and tow vehicle all balled up in the ditch beside the freeway.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You should never have to push down on the tongue to hook it up. Sounds like you don't have any tongue weight, That's bad. fhhuber is right, better to have too much than not enough tongue weight. I've never weighed any of my boats to get a %. As long as I see the back of the tow vehicle sag a little I know I'm good.

I like Bruce's idea too about pix. Is it possible the trailer is too big for the boat?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
It is a 1956 Alumacraft Deep C it is under 300 pounds I have a 1961 Mercury 400 45 hp on the back. I can pull two bolts and move the post with the winch forward at least 18" and still be able to open the tailgate on the pick up. I can't get a full length picture the boat is in the garage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It is a 1956 Alumacraft Deep C it is under 300 pounds I have a 1961 Mercury 400 45 hp on the back. I can pull two bolts and move the post with the winch forward at least 18" and still be able to open the tailgate on the pick up. I can't get a full length picture the boat is in the garage.

There you go

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
More than 10% is far better than less. Right up to the max tongue weight for the hitch/tow vehicle.
Look at a semi truck... When that trailer is full its quite possible for 50% of the weight to be on the truck's hitch.

Every trailer manufacturer also lists a MAXIMUM tongue weight. Exceeding it isn't a good idea. Too much tongue weight can screw with vehicle handling, and can also overstress the trailer tongue itself. I've had a couple boat trailers that had an amazing amount of flex in the tongue, had I maxed out the tongue weight I'd probably have ended up with two pieces of trailer tongue at some point.

My current hitch allows for 1000# of tongue weight. I'd have to move the axle to the very back of the trailer, and I'd guess the trailer would probably be split in 2 the first time I hit a big bump in the road.

Semi's are pulling trailers designed for that usage, notice where their axles are? Also, the weight of a trailer for a semi doesn't lift the front end. Every pound of tongue weight removes weight from the front of the vehicle, and reduces braking/steering ability.

This trailer was loaded under capacity and vehicle hitch rating not exceeded.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...r/IMG_1492.jpg

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Your only going to be able to move the boat forward until the lower unit hits the trailer. Which probably not going to give you enough tongue weight.
You can move things around in the boat to help. I would suggest adding weight to the trailer tongue itself, you could hang a steel tube filled with concrete from the tongue.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Your only going to be able to move the boat forward until the lower unit hits the trailer. Which probably not going to give you enough tongue weight.
You can move things around in the boat to help. I would suggest adding weight to the trailer tongue itself, you could hang a steel tube filled with concrete from the tongue.

Actually.. the outboard swings up and will clear the back of the trailer...

But it sounds like the trailer is too long for the boat and the compensation was having the boat transom lined up with back of the bunks then moved the winch post.

If the bunk boards extend aft of the metal trailer frame by more than a few inches you may want to trim off the ends of the bunks when you have the boat far enough forward to put a decent amount of weight on the ball.

A good guide in when the boat is far enough forward:

Put the tongue jack on a bathroom scale, trailer unhooked from the tow vehicle and no boat.
You want MORE weight on the scale with the boat on the trailer. (by Appx 10% of boat + outboard weight)

You can have an unloaded aluminum trailer frame break with no load in the trailer... just takes a defect crack in the aluminum.

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The trailer was made in 1956, it is not rusty it is made from virgin steel no melted down buicks in that trailer. There is little to no weight in the boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Moved it forward I didn't put a scale under it but it feels much better, I may just mount a spare up front as well.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As long as it drops on the ball good, by itself, you should be fine.....