Need Expert Help

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is not the place to ask this question but I posted in trailer and got no response I have a 2000 bayliner ciera need to replace the power winch with a manual one can I get away with a 2000 lb winch or do I need something bigger

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
I think I know why your not getting help, the Ciera is a series not an actual model. According to NADA the Ciera ranges from 3300 pounds to 11000+ pounds, so without an actual model number we can't make a recommendation. Except a 2000lb winch is prob too wimpy to trust your boat with :)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
That depends on a lot of things, how strong you are, how you load your trailer, bunks or rollers. Generally speaking it should be fine, but need to know how far you drive the boat onto the trailer, are you alone? If you are set up correctly you could do it alone with a 600 pound winch, but if you are trying to drag it 10 feet across bunks it could be a chore with the 2000 pounder.

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my trailer has bunk I normally pull the trailer into the water so it floats pretty much forward so your talking I have to drag the boat about a foot to snug it into the front roller

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
Okay so depending on motor and other options that sucker is going to weight between 4500 and 5500 pounds! I'm a total novice but reading this from west marine
/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Trailer-Winch
[FONT=&quot]The general rule is to select a winch with a capacity rating of at least 3/4th the combined weight of your boat, motor, fuel and gear. This rule varies depending on a number of factors about your boat and where you launch it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do you typically launch on steep ramps? Is your trailer equipped with carpeted wood bunks, instead of rollers? If so, the load on the winch will be higher, and you should select a winch with capacity closer to the actual weight of the fully-equipped boat. [/FONT]
I'm thinking you need at least a 4000lbs winch. can you weight your trailer both with and without your boat to get an actual ready to launch weight?

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
A 2000 lb winch is just right. Not so heavy that it is really slow cranking speed and strong enough to keep the boat solidly anchored on the bow going down the road. Good choice.

Rick

I'll add an edit in reference to Heavy<313>'s post. Common winch selection guides put winch capacity at around 2:1 load to winch capacity ratio. So a 4k boat weight would normally fall into a 2k winch. That is adjusted by incline angles commonly met by the boater. So a steeper ramp would benefit the boater to have a higher rated winch for pull power.

Also add that the higher the rated winch the higher the ratio on the crank. You have to spin the handle a lot more to get your boat up on the trailer.

When I was building trailers I generally stuck with the 2:1 ratio as the most useable.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
my trailer has bunk I normally pull the trailer into the water so it floats pretty much forward so your talking I have to drag the boat about a foot to snug it into the front roller

Mine is too, although a lot lighter. I do pretty much the same, drive the boat onto the bunks to within a foot or two, then I hook up the winch and tighten it up. Then I back the trailer in a little more, (a foot or so) and draw the boat up. If I am alone I may need to do it twice, if with someone ( I trust) I have them roll the trailer back SLOWLY and snug the boat up, sometimes I get my feet wet but it is way easier than trying to muscle it on. That way you use a minimal amount of force to load the boat. Once again I agree with Rick, a 2,000 should do the job.

Bondo

Staff member
can I get away with a 2000 lb winch
oppppps sorry the boat is a 2000 ciera express 2252

Ayuh,..... You'll be just fine with a 1 ton winch,.....