Trailer swap question, can the boat be too small for the trailer?

juicebronco

Seaman
So I picked up a boat for the motor to replace the blown motor in my Century. I pulled everything off, dumped the boat, and now I have the trailer. The trailer under my fishing boat is too small, and I had been wanting to upgrade it anyway, so now I'm thinking, why not use this bigger trailer I have.

Empty trailer held a fiberglass 18'6" Chris Craft Viking Deck boat with and I/O

Fishing boat is aluminum and listed at 15'1" with an old 20 horse merc on it.

Current trailer is for like 12-14' boats from what I can tell, and the boat sticks past the bunks.

The only issues I see, are the springs being too stiff, and the trailer being a couple inches higher off the ground. Any toughs or advice?

Also, what's the lever thing on the back roller? I've never encountered one before.

Attachments

• photo248736.jpg
    photo248736.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248737.jpg
    photo248737.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248738.jpg
    photo248738.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248739.jpg
    photo248739.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0

juicebronco

Seaman
Well, no one seems to have any input, so my plan has become, get some softer springs, and smaller tires. That should help bring the ride height back down, and make the ride smoother. Thoughts?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think the lever was to raise or lower the bunks at one time. Doesn't look like it's hooked to anything now.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I think the lever was to raise or lower the bunks at one time. Doesn't look like it's hooked to anything now.

The lever is connected to the rear roller. It probably rotates an off center roller axle and lifts the rear of the boat slightly off the bunks to make launching/loading easier

juicebronco

Seaman
Thanks, I think I'll be removing that then, the new boat going on it is light enough it shouldn't need it.