replace tiedown g4 with kodiak breaks

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
has anyone replaced old tie down g4 breaks with kodiak ? i've been reading about tiedowns and they seems not to be quality breaks, so upgrading from g4 to g5 seems like a pointless task.
is there a way to get a repair kit for those g4 calipers or have someone service them? just trying to not overspend here.

i don't tow boat anywhere far, farthest is 40 miles each way few times a year, all boat launches are 5-10 miles

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Been there, done that. I ran Tiedowns for a couple of years. Constant caliper problems from the combination of dissimilar metals at the time.

Switched over to Kodiak dacroment coated calipers and disk. Currently have 5-6 years on them.

Calipers still in decent shape but the disks are rusted to heck. Go through a set of ceramic pads every couple of year because of it. Will look at stainless disks when the time comes to replace them

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
did you change everything including actuator and brake lines? one of my calipers needs replacement ($120), master cylinder leaks and needs service ($120) or new $200, rotors aren't in best shape and i can't even buy the same size.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I replaced everything. New actuator, stainless steel brakes line and kodiak discs with ceramic pads.