Safety Chains vs. cables

jkust

Rear Admiral
2009 Shorelandr' trailer has chains all around...don't like anything that can fray and stick your fingers.

oldjeep

Admiral
2009 Shorelandr' trailer has chains all around...don't like anything that can fray and stick your fingers.

Mine are all rubber jacketed, so not much chance of any fraying. The only thing that could fray is the emergency brake cable.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You guys got some crappy roads, only time I ever hear my hitch moving around/rattling is at the boat launch or on speed bumps.

Or, not enough tongue weight......

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Weird you hear your hitch with the trailer on I never hear it unless I am driving around without the trailer and I left the hitch in for some reason.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Are those cables too long? In the photo it looks like the coupler could actually come in contact with the ground.

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice
Got caught up on this. Was stopped by the RCMP (our federal police force) for what he called a safety inspection, took a look at the trailer with the a boat on it (just bought) and said that the cables were not legal but seeing as I just bought it he gave me a warning ticket to have safety chains installed. The actual law up here in Canada does say 'safety chains' so I guess he was right.

Actually the law is province specific, not federal. In your case, assuming you live in Alberta as per your profile, you should contest that charge as the specific section states two separate means of attachment: (EDIT - Just realized he gave a warning)

98(1) A person shall not drive or operate a vehicle that is towing a trailer unless the trailer is attached to the towing vehicle by 2 separate means of attachment designed so that the failure of one attachment does not permit the trailer to separate from the towing
vehicle