Safety Chains vs. cables

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to see what the group consensus was regarding safety chains vs. safety cables, as well as bow safety chain vs. safety cable.
My trailer (2011 aluminum magic tilt tandem) has cables currently but they are pretty rusty and starting to fray and I am looking to replace them

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup - most trailers seem to use coiled cables for the safety hookups. Bow safety seems to still be mostly chain, likely because coiled cable that short can be a pain.

Surprisingly, mine actually has a cable for bow safety.
I was just thinking chains may be better/stronger bu HOPEFULLY that'll never be a concern.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My '07 has chains all around. Chains don't fray.......

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got caught up on this. Was stopped by the RCMP (our federal police force) for what he called a safety inspection, took a look at the trailer with the a boat on it (just bought) and said that the cables were not legal but seeing as I just bought it he gave me a warning ticket to have safety chains installed. The actual law up here in Canada does say 'safety chains' so I guess he was right.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a chain....if cable is rubber coated, suppose that's fine too, otherwise agree with WIMUSKY.. frays hurt!:mad:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Saltwater....chains are a rusted mess in 6 months.

#6500 vinyl coated safety cables with clevis hooks
Hot dip galvanized turnbuckle for bow tie down

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve seen dark coated rubber chains rust from the inside out without any signs of going bad. If you do cables, opt for the clear coating.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice
P1070458_zpsryig5md5.jpg

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I have cables on the trailer for the CVX18 and chains on the SeaRay trailer. Prefer chains because as others have already said, frays hurt!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
All I can think of, it's keeping the hitch from slightly moving up and down which makes a little noise at times.... Can't be a security setup.... IDK....

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All I can think of, it's keeping the hitch from slightly moving up and down which makes a little noise at times.... Can't be a security setup.... IDK....
Yep, keeps the hitch from rattling.