Anyone know this trailer's capacity?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Does anyone know the make and capacity of this trailer? I'm currently using it for a 12' tinny, but I want to put a 16' Starcraft super sport on it. (may have to lengthen the tongue bu a foot or so) Tires are rated for 700 lbs or so, I'm assuming its in the 1200-1500 lb range? My tinny with gear in it and a 50 lb motor seems pretty bouncy going down the road

Attachments

• photo248445.jpg
    photo248445.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo248446.jpg
    photo248446.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would not go bigger than 14' with the trailer. Not sure the rating but seeing others with that size I think the most I have seen is a 14' not a heavy one either.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
the axle and springs control the capacity, see if it still has the little wrap around tag on the axle

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Tire capacity also figures into the trailer capacity as does the quality and strength of the frame. Speaking of that, you are advised to put a safety chain around the tilt latch as I don't see one. You cannot rely on the latch alone to keep the trailer from tilting while going down the road.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would not go bigger than 14' with the trailer. Not sure the rating but seeing others with that size I think the most I have seen is a 14' not a heavy one either.

Agree. Just by looking at the pix, I wouldn't put that Starcraft on it. 14' would be fine....

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Tire capacity also figures into the trailer capacity as does the quality and strength of the frame. Speaking of that, you are advised to put a safety chain around the tilt latch as I don't see one. You cannot rely on the latch alone to keep the trailer from tilting while going down the road.

Thanks for the saftey chain idea!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks everyone. I hope I responded to all (using phone, it sucks for forums)

Anyway, here's the thing. I want to grab this Starcraft. It's reportedly about 500-600lbs plus 275lbs for the motor. I don't have time or funds to locate and purchase another trailer. Do you guys think that a 1750lb axle and tire swap and lengthening the tongue (it's a 3x3 square tube bolt on) would suffice to get it home? (3 hour journey) my concern is, will the 10 ga channel frame be adequate for carrying a 900lb load ?
I have a tent trailer axle with 1100lb rated tires that I can toss in it

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
600lb boat with a 275lb motor? It would be interesting to see how it floats.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
600lb boat with a 275lb motor? It would be interesting to see how it floats.

This information is from the seller, I don't have much experience with boats so I really can't say if it is accurate.

If you have a better idea on what the actual weights are, I would like to hear it

It's a 70's Starcraft Super Sport bowrider with a 60 hp Mariner with power tilt and trim