Power to harness on one pin only with car off on car side

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like it says I have constant power on one pin only (green wire) on the car side even with the car off.The wire is a little chewed up from closing the door on it but the green wire is the furthest from the ground.If it was a bad ground wouldn't that effect all pins.When plugged into trailer the trailer light with constant power is super bright and the other one is dim.How would I trouble shoot this on the car side?? 4 pin harness Thanks

Last edited:

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a 4 pin, with no lights on, no turn signals or no one pushing on the brake pedal there should be no power on any of the pins. Are any of the lights on the rear of the tow vehicle glowing on? You may have to trace the wire for the pin that has power on it and see where it's tapped into the vehicles harness.

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
The car is off with nothing on and disconnected from the trailer harness.I still have power going to the one pin.Tested with a test light.The car tail lights are not effected,just the one pin on the harness I put the alligator clip on the ground pin and probed each hole on the harness.Only the green showed power with car off

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
After ripping half the panels off the car it looks like the wiring converter is bad.Theres no power going into it and power coming out so I ordered a new one,hopefully its the problem

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If there is no power going INTO the converter, how can power be coming OUT of it? Something else is amiss. Just like a garden hose -- if there is no water going into it, there can be no water out of it.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If there is no power going INTO the converter, how can power be coming OUT of it? Something else is amiss. Just like a garden hose -- if there is no water going into it, there can be no water out of it.

Totally agree and the light convertor doesn't have an external power supply.

What make, model and year is your vehicle?

Last edited: