Stern heavy boat. Not loading properly. Looking to mod bow stop and/or winch

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I have a '59 Glasspar Seafair Sedan. It came with a solid trailer that i have mostly refurbished. I find that it is difficult to get the boat to load on the trailer well. I have experimented with different depths when i retrieve it, basically same results.
The winch pulls the bow eye tight, but there is a lot of weight/stress on the bow eye. If i let the winch off even a little the eye will pull away, which you can see in the pics.
I am looking for advice on changes to the bow stop/ winch arrangement that would better the situation. Thanks for any information in advance!

best
Ian

Attachments

• photo248290.jpg
    photo248290.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248291.jpg
    photo248291.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the winch was more level with the bow eye, things would be a lot better. The way it is now, the winch is pulling the bow down. A higher, level winch pulls the boat straight ahead, not down into the trailer.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If the winch was more level with the bow eye, things would be a lot better. The way it is now, the winch is pulling the bow down. A higher, level winch pulls the boat straight ahead, not down into the trailer.
I'd like to add, the bow stop should be above the eye. The way it is, it could ride up and over the winch at a sudden stop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'd like to add, the bow stop should be above the eye. The way it is, it could ride up and over the winch at a sudden stop.

Thanks, Grub. I meant to add that.

I think with that type of winch post, the angle closet to the boat can be moved closer to the ball and that would raise the stop and the strap can go under the stop for a straight pull.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
With the winch pulling downward, the trailer will actually have some spring curve in the tongue that can create an issue with the stem not willing to remain snuggly against the stop. So, for sure you need to raise the winch up level and as others have mentioned, get your stop above the eye. You'll likely have to start from scratch with longer metal arms. I reworked mine to look like this. I see you have the same theory as I do about having the bow strapped down, independent of the bow eye. - Grandad

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I am seeing that i will probably have to get some longer arms. This is the furthest i have been able to get the bowstop, which is actually a huge improvement.
Where do you guys find those arms? I was looking at some trailer supply sites and didn't readily find them

Attachments

• photo248701.jpg
    photo248701.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248702.jpg
    photo248702.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You may have to get them from a steel supplier and custom make them. Not to hard to do, as the ones you have are just flat steel, cut to length, they will do that for you. Then all you have to do is drill the holes in the correct spots, you can use the old ones for some of the pattern. Once test fit and adjusted properly, a bit of paint and assemble. if you want it welded. take your setup to a welder and have them put it together.

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

What about this? I have the winch closer to the bow eye, still a small angle down, but almost level. I was pricing out steel stock, and this looks like a good alternate. If i were to put it as is, it would bolt into the 2 parallel steel arms and put a bow stop under the eye, and then one above it.

Attachments

• photo248743.jpeg
    photo248743.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
You might be on to something there. What about the winch height? You need your strap to pull horizontally, not downward. I'd try to solve that part first and then use that structural change to support a new roller location. - Grandad