Do you know this Atwood surge actuator model? Suitable replacement p/n?

dristau77

Cadet
I would like to replace the Atwood Surge brake actuator on a trailer I inherited. It hasn't been maintained at all. I cannot find a part number on it. The trailer is from the '70's. Does anyone know what model this is? Also, for a replacement, the shapes of the newer models don't appear to be as long as this one. Will that affect braking/trailer dynamics? Is there a preferred surge actuator model that people like?

I'm replacing the lines, actuator, and brake parts on the axle too.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_2443(resized).jpg
    IMG_2443(resized).jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if I am allowed to post a link so I won't. But I believe if you google search "A1 Cardone Master Cylinder 10-37781" that may work for you. I don't believe you can buy that here on iBoats.Cylinders 10-37781

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My suggestion is just unbolt that whole actuator and bolt on a new one.

Buy a Titan/Dico unit of the appropriate capacity.

How much does your boat and trailer weigh fully loaded?

You will likely need to change everything at the other end too. You can buy full drum brake backing plates with all the parts on them.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My suggestion is just unbolt that whole actuator and bolt on a new one.

Buy a Titan/Dico unit of the appropriate capacity.

How much does your boat and trailer weigh fully loaded?

You will likely need to change everything at the other end too. You can buy full drum brake backing plates with all the parts on them.

+1 This is the way to go and no worries trying to meld mismatched parts.

thumpar

Admiral
You may consider going electric brakes if you are replacing that much. I did the actuator, line and backing plates on my trailer. If I was to do it again I would have done electric.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Or switch out the drum to disk brakes which is way better than drum brakes of any type.

dristau77

Cadet
I was planning on changing all of the wheel hardware as well. I'm going to take the advice and swap out everything. Looking at Titan or Demco for tha actuator. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

dristau77

Cadet
Have read that multiple places... Upon further review, I think it might be wise to just go with converting to 4 wheel disc (tandem axle trailer). The Titan kit looks pretty solid.