electric brake trailer battery

995jim

Seaman Apprentice
what is the purpose of the battery mounted on the trailer with elect brakes and what maintenance should be done. I was under the impression the braking action power came from the towing vehicle.
thanks jim

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In case the trailer is detached while towing and the safety cable is used, the battery applies the brakes. An emergency braking power source since the TV can't power the brakes.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is best if your battery is charged by the towing vehicle but on some of my trailers that doesn't always work so I charge them when I do regular maintenence twice a year. I like the battery boxes that have a test light to show if the battery is charged

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Add a small solar charger that clamps onto your trailer to keep it charged.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
May also be required depending on your state law... I think most of them require an on-trailer battery for electric brakes.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you have the battery, you should also have a breakaway switch and a thin cable that connects to your tow vehicle. If the trailer broke free, the battery would activate the brakes and (hopefully) stop the trailer.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have a small battery, like a motorcycle battery, do NOT charge it with a normal battery charger or you risk having the battery blow up. Most of the small batteries charge at 500MA, you can also buy an adapter to charge it off the tow vehicle, the adapter reduces the charge amperage

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
you can also buy an adapter to charge it off the tow vehicle, the adapter reduces the charge amperage
++++++1

I have electric over hydraulic and my battery gets charged by the hydraulic unit.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
++++++1

I have electric over hydraulic and my battery gets charged by the hydraulic unit.

Never heard of a system like that, a picture would be nice to see. Most hydraulic system - surge brakes - are hydraulic from the unit at the coupler to the wheels. Would love to see a system you are describing, the only time the battery would get charged would be when the brakes are applied - can't see how that would work?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Never heard of a system like that, a picture would be nice to see. Most hydraulic system - surge brakes - are hydraulic from the unit at the coupler to the wheels. Would love to see a system you are describing, the only time the battery would get charged would be when the brakes are applied - can't see how that would work?
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra.../T4813100.html
http://titan-intl.com/files/Trailer_Components/IIs/brake-rite-3-ver-INI3-web.pdf

It has 12V coming from the vehicle that drives the pump and a signal from the brake controller to control how much pressure is applied to the brakes.

Best way to have disc brakes on a boat trailer.

Most high end 5th wheels use these now instead of electric drums that have issues at times.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well now I can go home as I learned (saw) something new today :joyous: Thanks for showing me this, I still don't get how the break-away battery is charged off this system.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a set of 4 Dexter electric brakes on my trailer. I removed the original (single-axle) surge system and put electric drum brakes on both axles.

The I then simply bought a separate battery and break-away switch from a local trailer place.

The battery is a rather small gelled electrolyte battery (just like the battery in a computer UPS) that is charged by the vehicle when in tow and so far after more than a year mine has not discharged sitting in the garage.

The battery container has the charge controller and battery charge-level indicator right in the enclosure with status lights, press-to-test button etc.

You can buy breakaway kits at just about any autoparts store for less than $50. The amount of braking power is not such that it'll lock the wheels but it will bring the trailer to a stop if it becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle.

I'll never go back to surge brakes.