Bow stop and winch strap

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
When I am retrieving my boat the bow rides below the bow stop when winching it up. If I get the boat 75% loaded and back in a few feet the stern drops and the bow raises above the bow stop roller and I can winch it almost all the way up. I can?t seem to winch it all the way up and that leaves about 2? of the transom beyond the bunk.

I thought of lowering the winch but that puts the strap at an awkward angle and seems to just yank down on the bow instead of pulling it forward. Would putting the strap under the winch instead of over the winch help? If I did that I could lower the winch a little also.
Any thoughts? Dave
WINCH%20AND%20STRAP_zpsgqn4prha.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
You are putting the trailer in way too deep if the bow winds up under the bow stop.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You are putting the trailer in way too deep if the bow winds up under the bow stop.

If I put it in shallower it is really hard to winch it up. Also, I said the stern drops; should have said the bow raises up.

oldjeep

Admiral
If I put it in shallower it is really hard to winch it up. Also, I said the stern drops; should have said the bow raises up.

Lots of things are hard ;) If you have trouble winching with the trailer in the correct location then consider some bunk slick spray or a 2 gear winch.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Just a thought... explore the possibility of a different "Bow Stop"... The "Y" variety.... might just be the trick to snug that up.. The rubber block thickness takes up some of that slack your dealing with....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looking at your pic, first of all is the boat completely on the trailer, not hanging 2 inch over the transom? I would say the bow stop should be lowered so the bow roller/stop is just above the bow eye. Then the winch shimmed so the strap is pulling level to the bow eye, parallel to the length of the trailer.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Lots of things are hard ;) If you have trouble winching with the trailer in the correct location then consider some bunk slick spray or a 2 gear winch.

Bunk slick spray or bunk slicks would probably help. I just flipped the strap to come out under and lowered the winch stand a few inches. That should help also.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looking at your pic, first of all is the boat completely on the trailer, not hanging 2 inch over the transom? I would say the bow stop should be lowered so the bow roller/stop is just above the bow eye. Then the winch shimmed so the strap is pulling level to the bow eye, parallel to the length of the trailer.

The boat is not completely on the trailer. There is about 2 to 3 inches overhanging. Since I did just lower the winch and flipped the strap I will jack the boat up tomorrow and see if I can get the boat all the way up on the trailer. Will post another pic showing the changes in a few minutes.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Hard to tell but I lowered the winch about 3" and flipped the strap. When I get the boat all the way on the trailer tomorrow I will see if I need to lower the winch further.
Then hope it is easier to retrieve when I get it on the water again.

DSCF0002_zpswwv6aoqg.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
The boat is not completely on the trailer. There is about 2 to 3 inches overhanging. Since I did just lower the winch and flipped the strap I will jack the boat up tomorrow and see if I can get the boat all the way up on the trailer. Will post another pic showing the changes in a few minutes.

Easy way to get it forward is just brake check it ;)

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Easy way to get it forward is just brake check it ;)

My luck I will end up with the bow in the back of my truck!! :eek:

Jacking it up and winch the trailer back that 3 inches is pretty simple and doesn't take long at all..

oldjeep

Admiral
My luck I will end up with the bow in the back of my truck!! :eek:

Jacking it up and winch the trailer back that 3 inches is pretty simple and doesn't take long at all..

Well, you leave the transom straps on ;)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In your newest picture it shows the winch strap coming from under the winch, un wrap it and then keep turning the winch so it winds up with the strap on the top. That way you are pulling the boat parallel to the trailer not pulling the bow down

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
In your newest picture it shows the winch strap coming from under the winch, un wrap it and then keep turning the winch so it winds up with the strap on the top. That way you are pulling the boat parallel to the trailer not pulling the bow down

I may be wrong, but if I put the strap back on top it will rub on the bottom of the bow stop roller. I'll take a closer look and see if I can put it back on top when I get tthe boat all the way on the trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I may be wrong, but if I put the strap back on top it will rub on the bottom of the bow stop roller. I'll take a closer look and see if I can put it back on top when I get tthe boat all the way on the trailer.

The strap should be right under the roller, won't hurt if it is touching a little.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have a keel roller near the front of your trailer? It may be set too high thus pushing the bow up.