Boat trailer needs help...boat PITA to load!

OK. I got this setup uber cheap. It's not pretty, but gets me to where the fish are. I'm sure by the pictures you can tell that the existing rollers are inadequate. When I try to load it, it would rather go to one side or the other rather than down the middle. An uneven landing makes it even worse. I also need to improve the side bunk setup as they like to bend when the boat bumps into them. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I can weld in additional metal if needed. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo247357.jpg
    photo247357.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo247358.jpg
    photo247358.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pretty sure that trailer and boat were never ment to be together. I am guessing this is a new to you rig?

alldodge

Staff member
The trailer is over loaded from my view. The transom of the boat should be real close to the rear rollers, and there are not enough rollers. Looks like you need a tandum. What kind of boat is it and what does it weight?

I'm fairly sure this is a mismatch. It's an early '70's Glastron V-166 with a 65hp evinrude. The odds of this boat seeing a different trailer are extremely low, so I need to find a way to make this work. As for the trailer being overloaded, I don't think so. The springs still have plenty of travel left. I have towed it on 100 mile trips a few times and trails and rides nice and bearings and tires don't get hot. As for the weight, I'm not sure.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
It looks like that trailer is made for another boat but who knows. I would re-enforce the side bunks and try to add another roller in the center, if possible, to help guide it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The boat needs to be farther forward, or the trailer needs to be longer so back rollers are under the transom. the two rollers under the keel are a concern if the rear one is too high. As for difficulty loading, if you back the trailer in too deep, the boat will never center correctly. My guess is if you back the trailer in just far enough so the rear keel roller is just about in the water, the rear rollers would cradle the hull and it would winch on straight.

I don't even back my bunk trailer in very deep.

DSC_0074d.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. The rear rollers are about a foot from the transom...do they need to be further back than that? I have been loading it rather deep because it has been hard to load. Probably has something to do with the winch. It needs an upgrade too. I thought about adding roller(s) down the middle, as that would be easiest. I wasn't sure if that would help as it always fell off to one side in the rear. Maybe if I replaced them with the more "V" shaped ones, that would help? They are the flat style now.

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest change from rollers to bunks and make them longer by adding braces forward, or add short bunks in front of the rollers. Bunks will need a stronger winch to pull the boat on, but they are also easier to drive on

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The transom needs to be supported, at the transom. Not a foot, not six inches, not even one inch in front of it, but at the transom

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I can tell you this. That trailer id a mid1980's to mid 1990's Spartan tilt bed roller bunk trailer with a load rating of 1800 to 2000 lbs. depending on tire size.

The boat does need to be moved forward just a bit. The center keel rollers also need to be raised. That said they are great trailers and if not all rusted are very well built. If I could find one it would be under my 16' Alumacraft Classic 16.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
The trailer is not a bunk trailer but a roller trailer. What you are calling bunks are just guides to help keep the boat on the trailer. Move the winch stand forward until you can get the rear roller right under the transom. You need to add 2 keel rollers to keep the boat straight on the trailer, the outer rollers are there to support the hull and don't really do any thing in getting the hull straight on the trailer. the first keel roller should be at the very back of the trailer, second one half way between the front and rear keel roller.