Transom Savers

Bkok33

Seaman
So I have a 92 Bayliner Capri with a force 125 on it and was thinking of putting a transom saver on my trailer. I was wondering what you guys use or recommend. Thanks

Bkok33

Seaman
Thank you DRS4164, I will look into it. Are you happy with it and it works well?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
It is easy on and easy off. You just have to adjust the length from the trailer to the motor height you want. I tried one length and then redid it a little longer. Just a few bolts and nuts.

Bkok33

Seaman
I will look into it. I like the idea of being able to adjust it to the height to what ever I want.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Unless the motor must be tilted up when traveling, you don't even need a "defloperizer". If you have at least a foot clearance between the skeg and the road you can trailer with the motor down.

Bkok33

Seaman
Unless the motor must be tilted up when traveling, you don't even need a "defloperizer". If you have at least a foot clearance between the skeg and the road you can trailer with the motor down.

Yeah my motor hangs down to far so I have to travel with it tilted

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If your engine is not Hydraulically locked rigid I would recommend a Transom saver. If however it does lock rigid using the Hydraulic trim/tilt system, then I would advise using what would then be a Transom Breaker. If the engine is locked rigid by the hydraulics, then the transom saver/breaker is attached. and the boat shifts back or forth even the tinniest bit on the trailer all that stress is now transferred to the transom.

Bkok33

Seaman
So I don't have a rigid lock. All I have is the hydraulic which over time does bleed down.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If your engine is not Hydraulically locked rigid I would recommend a Transom saver. If however it does lock rigid using the Hydraulic trim/tilt system, then I would advise using what would then be a Transom Breaker. If the engine is locked rigid by the hydraulics, then the transom saver/breaker is attached. and the boat shifts back or forth even the tinniest bit on the trailer all that stress is now transferred to the transom.

There was an error in my post should be

If however it does lock rigid using the Hydraulic trim/tilt system, then I would advise AGAINST using what would then be a Transom Breaker

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have hydrollic tilt n trim. You need to use the trailering bracket that came wiith the motor. it keeps the motor from bouncing, but won't put to stress on the transom if the boat shifts.
fetch

Bkok33

Seaman
I don't have those simple man. Never came with the motor that's on the boat now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Once again, my personal opinion only. A transom saver does firmly hold the engine and the transom solidly with the trailer when used. The mere fact that even little bouncing while trailering does eventually work on the transom. And that can be stopped using a transom saver. Any time you can stop any movement, you stop any stress cracking as well. Regardless the material, stress will eventually win out over the years. But again, this is just my opinion and by no means contradicting anybody else's.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
You raise the motor, then insert the bracket into the engine mounting clamps and lower the engine to it. I will try to find pics.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Once again, my personal opinion only. A transom saver does firmly hold the engine and the transom solidly with the trailer when used. The mere fact that even little bouncing while trailering does eventually work on the transom. And that can be stopped using a transom saver. Any time you can stop any movement, you stop any stress cracking as well. Regardless the material, stress will eventually win out over the years. But again, this is just my opinion and by no means contradicting anybody else's.

I agree. My Suzuki manual says not to rely on the lock lever and to use a transom saver. They say that the lock lever is not made for trailering purposes. Of course, other makes of outboards may say different.