SHAGGING TRAILER HELP

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1987 Trailstar Trailer which came with a 1987 Nitro Pro Series Boat..The problem that I am having is the last support beam of the trailer is scrapping the street when I go over a bump in the road and the tires are hitting the edge of the fender on the trailer...I have no idea why this trailer is setting so low...I changed the leaf springs, thinking that would give me a little lift, but nothing...and that's the only suspension I see on the trailer unless I'm missing something...There are no broken support beams, no damage to the trailer...it just sits low in the rear...if anyone have any idea's that would help me with this trailer issue, it would be very helpful to me.

Mav6759

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take a picture from the side of your tow vehicle and the trailer and post it

is this a single or tandem axle trailer?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Measure from ground to the top of the ball. US industry standard expects the ball top to be 17 to 18 inches from the road. If the ball is high, the back of the trailer will be low.

Another possible issue is overweight boat. Tires hitting the fender says overweight. (or oversize tires but that would add clearance at the back of the trailer)
Take the trailer to a scale without the boat and then with the boat. Look up what that hull and engine are supposed to weigh. You might have seriously waterlogged flotation foam. Does the boat ride low in the water?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Thanks to everyone that replied...I did take some pictures, and I tried to post them but apparently they where too big to post to the site..so i am working on that... This is a single axle trailer...I had the trailer and boat weighed...The boat came in at 1467bs...I was told by Nitro that the in 87 the boat weighed 1480 the trailer came in a little over 525lbs..I didn't measure the front of the trailer where the ball is because the front of the trailer where the ball is looks a little lower...I will try to post these pictures....I don't know how the boat rides in the water yet, I just got it and was working on the wiring...I'm stumped, let me ask this, is the axle adjustable on a boat trailer or does the leaf springs provide the only mean of support and height control.

Thanks mav

Attachments

• photo247151.jpg
    photo247151.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo247152.jpg
    photo247152.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

pictures

Attachments

• photo247151.jpg
    photo247151.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo247152.jpg
    photo247152.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
The front of the trailer is way higher than the back. I think is should also sit up higher. The tires should be about the same distance from the fender all the way around.

Bkok33

Seaman
I know I am new but that angle is to much. Are you using an adjustable hitch where you can lower the front end to rise the back some? Do you have a picture of the hitch?

NYBo

Admiral
Yep, hitch is too high.

Not a lot of clearance between the tires and fenders. You may have ties that are too big. What size are they?

Outkast

Cadet
The running gear does seem a little saggy can you get pictures of the springs and axle?

TomCz

Cadet
The trailer appears too high in front. For a few bucks get a mount that lowers the hitch ball so the trailer is close to level. You can also collect all your serial numbers and specs and call Nitro to verify the correct size tires... if your tires are correct a Nitro rep might be the able to offer some insight. You said you replaced the springs... make sure you installed all fittings. If something was missing and wasn't replaced the new springs won't help. Again, something to chat with Nitro about.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The new leaf springs are either installed incorrectly or are the incorrect springs. Trailer is sitting way to low irregardless of tire size. Springs have a weight rating to them you may have a set that is to light for your load. Definitely looks overloaded from your pics.