Some thoughts I am Towing a 28.60 Regal Commodore , not fun

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You might want to upgrade you hitch for the truck to a Class V. I think a III is a little light for your load.

Bkok33

Seaman
I would go with a diesel plus an upgraded tow package for the load it will put on the hitch and the truck.

Outkast

Cadet
I know everyone here is saying use a 4x4, but a 4x4 does have a drop in towing capacity. An ultimate tow rig would be a 3500 2wd dually, newer hd trucks now have impressive capacity some up to 18k on a reciever hitch and 30k on the axle. To help with the slim get rid of the mud tires an all weather or all season will give you more rubber contact. Especially if it's a thin film on concrete with mud tire they're not getting a chance to dig in like they're designed to and your only running on the nubs.

Outkast

Cadet
You might want to upgrade you hitch for the truck to a Class V. I think a III is a little light for your load.

Just changing the reciever will not increase your tow capacity there are other things to consider as well like the transmission, suspension, and rear. Perfict example of this is late model Ford Explorer V8s some came with a class 3/4 hitch rated for 7.5k and some with a class 2 at 3.5k same motor and trans but different rear gearing.

thumpar

Admiral
Just changing the reciever will not increase your tow capacity there are other things to consider as well like the transmission, suspension, and rear. Perfict example of this is late model Ford Explorer V8s some came with a class 3/4 hitch rated for 7.5k and some with a class 2 at 3.5k same motor and trans but different rear gearing.

My Yukon has a tow capacity of somewhere around 8k but the stock tow package is only rate for 5k so yes a new hitch can change the capacity.

Outkast

Cadet
A Yukon stock is about 8k with a weight distribution hitch and just because an aftermarket hitch is rated for something doesn't mean the vehical is without other upgrades. I've been a hitch installer and trailer technician for the past better part of a decade for MGS Inc. I am now at MH Eby both companies have been in the hitch and trailer industries for over 50 years. I have also been through Draw-Tite hitch pro program. The major things oem considers when calculating tow capacity is gearing, suspension, frame, trans cooling. If you don't upgrade these as well just putting on a bigger receiver won't help beating the tow rig up. Its like throwing on forced induction to the motor without upgrading the motor internals.

thumpar

Admiral
A Yukon stock is about 8k with a weight distribution hitch and just because an aftermarket hitch is rated for something doesn't mean the vehical is without other upgrades. I've been a hitch installer and trailer technician for the past better part of a decade for MGS Inc. I am now at MH Eby both companies have been in the hitch and trailer industries for over 50 years. I have also been through Draw-Tite hitch pro program. The major things oem considers when calculating tow capacity is gearing, suspension, frame, trans cooling. If you don't upgrade these as well just putting on a bigger receiver won't help beating the tow rig up. Its like throwing on forced induction to the motor without upgrading the motor internals.
Even with the worst gearing I am rated for 7800lbs and a WD hitch would all I would need. I have never checked my gears but have factory tow package and tow mode so would guess it is rated for the 8800lbs, not that I would want to tow that much with it. It is just a different hitch.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My Yukon has a tow capacity of somewhere around 8k but the stock tow package is only rate for 5k so yes a new hitch can change the capacity.
No it can't. The hitch has it's own rating that is totally independent of the vehicle rating.

And I would never tow 7800lbs with a Yukon! My brother's partner with his 26' Formula has a Tahoe and prefers my brother tow the boat since it has such a short wheelbase.

thumpar

Admiral
No it can't. The hitch has it's own rating that is totally independent of the vehicle rating.

And I would never tow 7800lbs with a Yukon! My brother's partner with his 26' Formula has a Tahoe and prefers my brother tow the boat since it has such a short wheelbase.

Look it up. They are rated for 7800 or 8800 depending on gears. You just have to upgrade the hitch to go above 5k.

rlb81

Seaman
I think people are saying that your vehicle has X capacity from the factory which you cannot exceed. Your hitch itself has Y capacity that cannot be exceeded, regardless of what the vehicle can handle. So if your car can tow 10 bananas but the hitch can only rated for 5 peanuts you need to upgrade your hitch. If you have a 10 banana hitch on a 3 grape car you can still only tow 3 grapes.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I think people are saying that your vehicle has X capacity from the factory which you cannot exceed. Your hitch itself has Y capacity that cannot be exceeded, regardless of what the vehicle can handle. So if your car can tow 10 bananas but the hitch can only rated for 5 peanuts you need to upgrade your hitch. If you have a 10 banana hitch on a 3 grape car you can still only tow 3 grapes.

Yep, a lot of manufacturers will cheap out and put a lesser hitch on a vehicle than what the vehicle is capable of towing. I had a Silverado half ton a few years back that had a tow rating of 7500lbs, however they only put on a Class 3 hitch which had a capacity of only 5K lbs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep, a lot of manufacturers will cheap out and put a lesser hitch on a vehicle than what the vehicle is capable of towing. I had a Silverado half ton a few years back that had a tow rating of 7500lbs, however they only put on a Class 3 hitch which had a capacity of only 5K lbs.
Almost all the hitches that are put on Silverados are deadweight rated for 5K but higher if you use an equilizing hitch. With a 1/2T Silverado, you probably shouldn't be towing anything over 5K without an equilizing hitch anyway.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Almost all the hitches that are put on Silverados are deadweight rated for 5K but higher if you use an equilizing hitch. With a 1/2T Silverado, you probably shouldn't be towing anything over 5K without an equilizing hitch anyway.

That is correct. I think all gm 1/2 ton need it over 5k.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Going by a semi, or a semi going by you will upset a trailer. Not so much a 5th wheel. Looked like the pickup never got off the go pedal...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not enough tongue weight. Sometimes you have to press on the go pedal to fix the sway.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Not enough tongue weight. Sometimes you have to press on the go pedal to fix the sway.

I agree..... Classic sign of not enough TW, swaying trailer. When it doubt, have a little more TW than may be needed. As long as you're not throwing sparks in the rear...Lol

Oshkosh1

Ensign
"So fellow boaters reading this, faced same issues. ?? How did you over come similar issues ? other then the obvious ( smaller boat ) "

Seem to be chasing a red herring which is the tow vehicle itself. Sure a bigger truck would be nice, however the issue really is the fact it's too big for the OP to deal with by himself.

There are a few options "other than the obvious" but they're not really going to solve the problems. 2 pages of truck/hitch recommendations isn't solving anything really...more red herring than answer.

Sometimes the obvious is aptly labeled...

The OP is 69...and is basically doing the work solo. "feels like" is nice but the calendar always wins. I know!lol!

At some point this will cross the line from "inconvenient" to "unsafe"...it's probably about there.