Some thoughts I am Towing a 28.60 Regal Commodore , not fun

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Always having some sort of boat . ( still have ) a 21 ft walk around that I towed all over. ( needs engine work)
When I was a young man I had a route driving professionally 30 plus years , straight & trailer trucks
Last year wife & myself decided on a 28.60 Regal Commodore .
A plus It came with a beautiful stainless wheel 3 axle trailer. Disk brakes on all wheels .
I did not want a boat that big but once into cabin with rosewood cabinets, leather seating, galley, cold air wife fell in love with it.

We are retired and we decided on a cruiser that we call our mobile condo .
Boat is beautiful 2004 pristine that I presently keep at a in/out marina here in Fl. I use boat every week . Sleeping aboard at marina. When I want too go home they pull it.

Regal empty weight is 7900 lbs. with fuel & water close figure 9000 lbs ( on trips will try too be empty as possible )
I tow with an older ( not pretty ) ford f 350 5.8 gas truck. Does the job
Truck not a 4/4 and at boat ramp challenging getting over hump at ramp. Once over were good too go.
At low tide slime on boat ramp causing rear wheels too spin . ( new mud tires )
Put in too use a 65 gallon rusted gas tank. Filling with water. (Installed a release valve) . Adds 500 lbs . PERFECT
Tank remains in pick up under tool box.
Our plan was too travel all over towing. Staying few days in different areas . Operating like a mobile home .
Instead of trailer parks, staying at marinas Sounds lovely but 9000 lbs towing is not fun
Overall length truck & boat 52 feet
Beam is wide 9.6.
Legally towing anything wider then 102 a wide permit is needed.
Got wide permit .
I live inland 65 miles from ocean & boat.
Our original plan was too leave 5 months at marina. Take inland a month or two near my home ( too big too leave at my home ) take a break from marina fees , preform general work then hit the road a month or two.
I have towed the boat a number of times, going over bridges windy days very uneasy feeling.
Low tree branches have broken antennas , arch lights etc
Floating boat off trailer is the easy part
Getting boat out of water onto trailer is a two person job
Wife is in no physical condition too help.
I am in good physical health but I am 69 ( mentally think I am 25 ) tough at times .
We have made a number of 100 mile trips via water and boat has twin gas engines, I burn 1 gallon a mile . Boat is a weekender cruiser not designed for long trips. So my long trips have too be via trailer. ( knowing all of this prior too purchase but figured no big deal I drove all my life should be a piece of cake ) WRONG
NOT FUN driving on Florida roads, especially with aggressive knuckle heads,

So fellow boaters reading this, faced same issues. ?? How did you over come similar issues ? other then the obvious ( smaller boat )

Last edited by a moderator:

thumpar

Admiral
I think a more capable tow vehicle would help a lot. A 1 ton diesel dually with 4wd would probably be a lot more stable and get more traction on the ramp. If you know someone with one you might ask if you can try it out.

alldodge

Staff member
Have towed my 10K Formula many times, and longest run was around 160 miles.

While the 4x4 diesel as thumper mentioned would be the way to go all around, your water tank is making it easier to pull her out. There is no substitute for 4 wheels pulling on a slimy ramp when your rears start to slip. The extra weight for the diesel 4x4 is also an advantage to keep the boat from pushing you around, and the additional torque helps keep the speed up without keeping your foot on the floor.

Getting the boat out is always more of an issue, and my guess is your at a ramp which may not allow to use the motors to drive onto the trailer. This can be eased up a bit with a 12V power winch.

If you want to haul out of state I would recommend this site
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

They list the rules for high, wide, heavy and length requirements.

tpenfield

Staff member
Around here, the secret to towing a boat is to make the other 'aggressive' drivers think that you are crazier than them :D

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I think a 4X4 would be the better way to go. IMHO 4X4's just make better tow vehicles because they are heavier and have tighter/firmer suspensions than a comparable 2WD. For your situation I wouldn't bother with a diesel. Also check that your tongue weight is correct and with that kind of weight your should be towing with a weight distribution hitch.

And cheese 'n' rice, that's awesome that your still trailering something that big @ 69!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use my little 4x4 to pull 2WD F350's with 10,000# grady whites up the ramp. and I do it in reverse with my boat on the hitch. No replacement for 4WD on a slimy ramp

I would recommend a diesel because thats what they are made for. however a gas motor would be ok with appropriate gearing

and yes, down here in FL, there are a variety of bad drivers. wait until its snowbird season when the blue-hairs are out in their buicks and caddys with the left blinker on for 30 miles. Where in FL are you? If your near Bradenton, let me know

a gallon a mile is normal for a big cruiser, however if you just want to putt along, do so at an idle. you will use far less fuel at 7 knots just at idle than you will at any other throttle setting. if your just off plane, you will use more fuel than any other speed. if not, get it up on plane and moving along. my guess planing speed for your boat is about 18mph

if bridges and wind give you an uneasy feeling, you may need to adjust your weight distributing hitch. if your not using a WD hitch, use one. one issue that I have had on all my tow vehicles. if the shocks have any wear, they allow the arse end of the vehicle to sway. I found that new rear shocks on the tow vehicle every few years helped immensely. So did air bags or air shocks to stiffen up the rear of the tow vehicle.

regarding the antenna, assuming you have an adjustable mount, I would lower it for trailering.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Id suggest a diesel and 4x4 drivetrain. I think your taxing the heck out of a gasoline engine and transmission with that load. Plus you will get better gas mileage while towing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are already using a weight distributing hitch, just remove the bars while you launch. That will add more weight to the rear drive wheels.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
How far do you plan on traveling? You have a 1 ton truck, what is the tow rating? Tranny/engine oil cooler? 4x4 would be nice, no doubt. Diesel? Depends on the answers to my ?s. Sure diesels are nice, but not needed for a lot of people who have them. I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 with the coolers that has a tow rating of 12k+. I wouldn't need a diesel...

Last edited:

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds to me the boat is as much of a problem for you as your towing situation. If the boat is difficult to launch/retrieve solo, and your wife is not able to assist, you should either scale down your boat or cut this idea of towing your boat all over the countryside. My vote would be for the latter. Keep the boat in the water somewhere and make your peace with the idea that you won't be touring the country with it. Live with the fuel consumption and enjoy it for what it is.

You could scale down to a smaller boat, however it sounds like you enjoy the luxury and comfort of this one. Something smaller would be easier to tow, but tougher to get around inside of, and not substantially better on fuel.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
What 444 said x1. An F350 should be fine for pulling that boat so I don't think you would gain much by getting another truck. You could upgrade the suspension , new shocks, springs, sway control, air bags etc. but I think it is still too much to tow all over for you and your wife. I say either get another lighter smaller boat you can more easily tow, launch and retrieve or birth the boat and go from there. One thing though, why do you have mud tires on a 2wd pavement pounder? Mudders are great for 4x4 in the mud. You'd be better off with a set of truck tires. Mudders are noisy, and generally don't provide quite as good of traction or handling on pavement. Even a set of mildly aggressive AT's would be better than mud tires.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Mudders? Missed that, they belong on a 4x4. Mudders will kill traction at a ramp..... You mentioned it's an older truck. How old? Miles?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
How far do you plan on traveling? You have a 1 ton truck, what is the tow rating? Tranny/engine oil cooler? 4x4 would be nice, no doubt. Diesel? Depends on the answers to my ?s. Sure diesels are nice, but not needed for a lot of people who have them. I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 with the coolers that has a tow rating of 12k+. I wouldn't need a diesel...

I would prefer a 3.0 diesel than most v8 gas engines for towing. My neighbor has a Mercedes SUV with the 3.0 diesel, can't feel his 7k rv in the back unless the crosswords are bad.

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you're thinking a new truck, any new 1500 series with a tow package (trans and oil coolers, beefy suspension, breaks, ext.) would be able to pull that fine. I pull my 277 commodore (30' LOA and 10' wide) with my 15 F150, I'm 8400# empty, plus fuel/water/gear/trailer I figure i'm around 11.5k. I use a torsion and sway bar set up and we've been hauling all over WI, longest pull was from Milwaukee up to Lake Superior.

You're rig should be able to pull that load just fine. I'd for sure use a weight distributing hitch and torsion bars, they made a night and day difference for me).

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would prefer a 3.0 diesel than most v8 gas engines for towing. My neighbor has a Mercedes SUV with the 3.0 diesel, can't feel his 7k rv in the back unless the crosswords are bad.

Given a choice for towing, a diesel will win every time... Although, I would want a 5.0........

If you're thinking a new truck, any new 1500 series with a tow package (trans and oil coolers, beefy suspension, breaks, ext.) would be able to pull that fine. I pull my 277 commodore (30' LOA and 10' wide) with my 15 F150, I'm 8400# empty, plus fuel/water/gear/trailer I figure i'm around 11.5k. I use a torsion and sway bar set up and we've been hauling all over WI, longest pull was from Milwaukee up to Lake Superior.

You're rig should be able to pull that load just fine. I'd for sure use a weight distributing hitch and torsion bars, they made a night and day difference for me).

For the Ops boat, if I were to buy new, I would get a 3/4 ton. I wouldn't mess around with a 1/2 ton....jmo

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
the 2500 one is rated for 5K and the 3500 one is rated for 7.5K If he is towing 7K he is right at his limit unless he has the 2500 and he is over it. Wouldn't work at all for the OP.

Last edited:

Senior Chief Petty Officer

11.5k towing on a half ton? I hope you're not over your limit because you could be in trouble if you're ever nailed. However I understand some of the larger models of F-150 are rated for 12k pounds. That's as much as my old 3/4 ton diesel is rated to tow!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
the 2500 one is rated for 5K and the 3500 one is rated for 7.5K If he is towing 7K he is right at his limit unless he has the 2500 and he is over it. Wouldn't work at all for the OP.

He had the one with 7.5 towing capacity, I was trying to say the OP should go for a diesel truck versus a gas truck. 10k pounds is alot of weight, he would be happier towing with a diesel.

Last edited:

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
11.5k towing on a half ton? I hope you're not over your limit because you could be in trouble if you're ever nailed. However I understand some of the larger models of F-150 are rated for 12k pounds. That's as much as my old 3/4 ton diesel is rated to tow!

I'm rated for 11,800# (3.5 ecoboost, 3.55 rear end supercab). My dealer said with the torsion bars and WD hitch 12,000# would be no problem; and even then a big limiting factor is how much the truck can brake, so with each of the 3 axles having brakes they didn't think I'd have any problems pushing up towards 12,500... I don't think I'd ever try that much. I make an effort to pull with no water and min fuel on board, and the wife and dog don't weigh much

Last edited:

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW = lot's of great responses .
Let me explain how all this played out, covering all fellow boaters answers
Years ago our family business purchased 1997 Ford F 350 for deliveries. .
Eddie Bauer edition
bench seat
5.8 gas
automatic
Original owner was a major company , that maintained their fleet. A fish delivery service .
Had a slide in walk in box mounted too bed of truck .
Truck was top heavy. Box was 1000 lbs of dead weight
Ford was a spare . Nobody liked too drive it.
Took Ford too my home stored , started & driven often , but not used for any heavy work in 7 years.
No way too verify but the used truck dealer that was flipping indicated the company rebuilt engine & tranny but decided too lease selling their entire fleet
Present mileage is 184,000
Runs strong, does not burn anything tranny strong, and believe dealer was truthful .
When I purchased the Regal it came with trailer . Knowing I had the Ford too tow ,
Towed boat number of times with box mounted on flat bed of Ford.
With box viewing anything in rear was impossible .
Try backing into boat ramp not able too see anything behind only along side
Since it was a waist of a good box somebody could use I removed and sold .

WOW - truck flies . less weight what a difference. Runs great
Gets 14mph not towing anything- Not using truck for any work over the many years of ownership was a good thing.
Wind resistance the box caused is gone.
I find myself going over 80 and truck handles great EXCEPT I BELEIVE I NEED PITMAN ARM WHICH ALSO ADDS TOO MY PRESENT ISSUE.
Cleaned up truck
interior was clean, had bench seat re- done
new compressor air is cold
New tires. I call them mud tires, has wide gripping
Had a shop install new Monroe Shocks
On door panel rated over 10.500 towing
Has the rear axle that gives me ability for duel tires. ( presently standard fender )
Had a standard class 3 hitch
I believe tongue weight printed on hitch is 5500 . ( could be wrong )
Don't know anything about rear end gear ratio. Has low & high button on shifter but axle is standard for that truck when made.
Has tranny cooling
Cheaper too put some money into F 350 for the occasional use.
I am retired , don't need a used 45 thousand dollar diesel truck with proper everything for the 5 times a year I tow
Don't want a truck as my daily driver.
I use boat few times a week. If I towed would never use. This way I call marina and boat is in water .
Just sometimes you want an adventure going someplace else which was the purpose when we purchased boat.
I am having a good time fixing up truck
The movie Walking Tall my Ford looks like the same truck . Except mine is white and that truck is green .
Will look into Weight Distribution Hitch
Air Shocks
Springs
Torsion Sway Control Bar
So thank you again for all the info and especially too the guy that gave me GOOD FOR YOU at 69 you still want too do this stuff.