tire repacked with new bearings running hot???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So the grease will still get back to the back bearing ??
You pack both bearings manually and fill the hub with grease when you install the hub. If you didn't put grease in the back bearing, it won't get grease from the buddy bearing. It's only purpose in life is to keep the hub pressurized. If you leave cavities of air in th hub, those may leave and then you will add some more grease through the buddy bearing but once the hub is full, you will never need to add more.

Last edited:

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took everyone's advice .... didn't fill the hub full ...repacked bearings with an actual bearing packer... backed the castle nut a notch .... ran it 10 miles at 70mph and feels better!! Can't even feel any warmth .... gonna leave the other side alone till I start to see am actual problem and stop tinkering haha! Thanks everyone !

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I dinged the new seal trying take it off... might have to replace it and then I can get the hub full I put a nice big dob in the hub before I flipped over to do the front bearing

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well I dinged the new seal trying take it off... might have to replace it and then I can get the hub full I put a nice big dob in the hub before I flipped over to do the front bearing
Seals are a one time install, they can't be removed and reused.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re. Lubriplate....Disagree...lower drop temp than other grease out there.

I can only speak from practical experience. Since I'm not a petroleum engineer, drop temp means nothing to me.

All I can say is that I;ve tried many different brands, and when I do the annual repack the lubriplate still looks like new and there is no water in the hub.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I can only speak from practical experience. Since I'm not a petroleum engineer, drop temp means nothing to me.

All I can say is that I;ve tried many different brands, and when I do the annual repack the lubriplate still looks like new and there is no water in the hub.
We used to use that exact grease in the early 70s but upgraded to better grease later on. Especially good to have a higher drop point with disc brakes. The lubriplate grease is NOT reccomended for use with disc brakes since the drop point is so low.

philipp10

Seaman
I doubt the heat was caused by a type of grease or packing method. Most likely you just pre-loaded the bearings too much. Backing off the nut will fix that.