tire repacked with new bearings running hot???

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I'm an over analyzer..... should have left everything alone!!!!

Last trip with boat.... Port side was cold on hub while the starboard side was luke warm after about 90 miles.... figured better take it off and take a look just in case...

Bearings looked BRAND spanking new.... cleaned out a "dark blueish grease" (this boat is new to me don't know what they used before)

repacked with a white "Lubriplate" marine/auto grease(see pic below)

Took it down the highway about 5 miles... turned around and came back (70 MPH) when i got home felt the new wheel and it was even warmer than before!!!

only things i can think of

1. did i tighten the "castle nut" to tight.... i just ran it up with my hand.... and put the cotter pin in....
2. maybe the grease really sucks???
3. when i repacked bearings... i didn't have a bearing packer and just squished grease in with my hand the best i could.

again... should have left it alone.... was probably just fine before i decided to take stuff apart.....

Attachments

• photo246726.jpg
    photo246726.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pull the hub back off and check for any wear or scoring. Look on YouTube how to pack a bearing with a palm full of grease. Reassemble. Tighten the castle nut down snug and spin hub several times to seat the bearings. Back it off until just a little play in hub. Go next notch up. And insert NEW cotter pin. bolt wheel back on and spin wheel listening for excessive noise. Feel to make sure you don't have excessive bearing play either. You should be done at this point. If you really want to be anal about it go get a lazer thermometer and take separate hub temps. If you have one hotter than the rest then there is your answer.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Is that grease a wheel bearing type? I can't read the pic you up to see if it is.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
It has a picture of a bearing on it..... other than that only other thing on the tube is warnings tables in 10 different languages ....

I cleaned everything up pretty good when I took everything out

Thalasso

Commander
Pull the hub back off and check for any wear or scoring. Look on YouTube how to pack a bearing with a palm full of grease. Reassemble. Tighten the castle nut down snug and spin hub several times to seat the bearings. Back it off until just a little play in hub. Go next notch up. And insert NEW cotter pin. bolt wheel back on and spin wheel listening for excessive noise. Feel to make sure you don't have excessive bearing play either. You should be done at this point. If you really want to be anal about it go get a lazer thermometer and take separate hub temps. If you have one hotter than the rest then there is your answer.

Or get one of these. No muss no fuss
E-Z Squeeze packer.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Well I'm an over analyzer..... should have left everything alone!!!!

Last trip with boat.... Port side was cold on hub while the starboard side was luke warm after about 90 miles.... figured better take it off and take a look just in case...

Bearings looked BRAND spanking new.... cleaned out a "dark blueish grease" (this boat is new to me don't know what they used before)

repacked with a white "Lubriplate" marine/auto grease(see pic below)

Took it down the highway about 5 miles... turned around and came back (70 MPH) when i got home felt the new wheel and it was even warmer than before!!!

only things i can think of

1. did i tighten the "castle nut" to tight.... i just ran it up with my hand.... and put the cotter pin in....
2. maybe the grease really sucks???
3. when i repacked bearings... i didn't have a bearing packer and just squished grease in with my hand the best i could.

again... should have left it alone.... was probably just fine before i decided to take stuff apart.....

I've never experienced a "cold hub" to touch after use.. warm yes, very hot yes. very hot is bad, warm is normal, cold? not sure how that happens assuming your not towing in winter in north... warm is normal, if it's to hot to touch,, that's a problem...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If I am not mistaken, lubriplate grease is white lithium grease. if so, it is not for wheel bearings.

assuming your using wheel bearing grease, you did pack the bearing properly (blob of grease in the cup of your hand and work it in slowly or used a bearing packer), correct?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know anything about the grease you are using. I would start by going to an auto parts store or marine center and getting different grease. Then I would repack the bearings on both sides. Bearings are not expensive so you may just want to get new bearings, at least you will know then there are no problems with the bearings. You want the same grease in both hubs so if you add some they are the same and are compatible. I don't know what you mean by one is cold. Neither side should be cold after a run at 70mph. If your trailer does not have brakes the hubs may normally run as warm as 120 to 130 degrees. They can run cooler than that but if they are over 130 you have a problem. If you have brakes they will run much hotter - 180 or higher. I am assuming you don't have brakes.
There are several reasons one may run hotter than the other. If you are pulling the trailer and the sun is shining on one side that side may be several degrees hotter. The spindle nut may be too tight, back it off a notch.
Jack up each side and spin the tire, listen for any unusual noise. Wiggle each tire while they are jacked up. If you have horizontal or vertical wiggle the nut may be too loose. That can make it run hotter. I have also heard that too much grease can make it run warmer.
Running warm is normal, running hot is a problem. It's kind of sounding like it's running warm to me. Get an infrared temp reader and check the temp of the hubs. If not over 120 (no brakes on trailer) you are fine. If running in direct sun light on one side that side will be hotter.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If I am not mistaken, lubriplate grease is white lithium grease. if so, it is not for wheel bearings.

assuming your using wheel bearing grease, you did pack the bearing properly (blob of grease in the cup of your hand and work it in slowly or used a bearing packer), correct?
Lubriplate makes the absolute best marine grade wheel bearing grease known to man. I don't know whether the particular part number in question here is the right one or not.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Packing bearings is not difficult.
But if you don't know what your doing it can be a daunting task.
Is there anyone near you that can show you what the preload should feel like? This is one of those things that is done by "feel".
A good mechanic can do this in a minute or two. I've seen my neighbor struggle for hours.....and he wants no help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you have brakes on this trailer? If so, one side of brakes is working more than the other possibly.

I would have left the original type of grease in there. Unless you wash it all out and replace with new, you may have compatibility issues.

Lubriplate makes the absolute best marine grade wheel bearing grease known to man.
Disagree...lower drop temp than other grease out there.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yup.....that is correct. Have to allow some head space for expansion. Not an issue unless abnormally hot.
And of course not an issue if you use Bearing Buddies and don't over fill them. You fill the hub completely when you use Bearing Buddies.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok sorry for not responding to everyone's questions lol had a storm come thru haven't had a chance to take everything apart again.

As for it being cold... I ment it as ... I couldn't fell any warmth... it was the same as touching the boat trailer itself.

There are no brakes on the trailer that's not an issue.

I did borrow a bearing packer from a friend so I can redo everything hopefully the right way.

As for the grease... im not sold on it.... it so generic....just has a title amd warning labels nothing on uses for : blah blah blah...

I found a mystik synthetic blend "NLGI NO. 2" designed for wheel bearings...

As for a marine shop... there's nothing in my area... trying to get marine grade anything...like lower unit oil or grease .... it's impossible to find.... I guess no one in North Dakota owns boats lol šŸ˜› I even went to a place that sells boats and ATVs... and he looked at me stupid when I said I wanted marine grade lower unit oil... tries selling me basic 85-90w..... smh...

Also might have to much grease in there due to filling up the grease cert on hub ... then putting tire on and filling up bearing buddy ...

My main concern right now is taking the brand new seal out without damaging it?? Just bought it... unknown there cheap but still it's wasting $5 if I ruin it.... that's a dozen minnows !! Lol

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also to add on.... it's middle of fishing season.... I got maybe 4 or 5 trips till winter if I'm lucky... if I can just make it to fall using synthetic automotive grease I can redo everything the right way and order online when time isn't crucial and I think the price for bearings at my local auto store is 2x more than online...... walked out paying $75 .. $38 of that was for a race poundrr ... bearings with races were about $15 for each one ... then seal was $5 and grease $8

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OAlso might have to much grease in there due to filling up the grease cert on hub ... then putting tire on and filling up bearing buddy ...
Fill the buddy bearing until the piston just starts to move. This allows the hub to have positive pressure. BTW...your hub will be completely full this way and there is zero issue with it overheating because of this.