Rollers to bunks

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You might be thinking, why? Rollers and make loading so much easier, and they do, but my boat remains trailer-ed, no mooring or dock access so its better for the hull to have bunks.

My question is how big of a job is the conversion? Could i do it in the driveway? Without welding? I have no welder or welding experience.

Thanks in advanced.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If there a lots of rollers, properly placed, and adjusted, the boat will be fine. But if you insist on switching, some trailers were available with either and all the parts might be over the counter. What brand is your trailer?

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wanting to do the opposite. I have come across some really good set of rollers & am wanting to put those on. Looks like they bolt on so no welder needed but is it difficult to get them placed properly?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You might be thinking, why? Rollers and make loading so much easier, and they do, but my boat remains trailer-ed, no mooring or dock access so its better for the hull to have bunks.

My question is how big of a job is the conversion? Could i do it in the driveway? Without welding? I have no welder or welding experience.

Thanks in advanced.
Wrong thinking. A proper roller trailer will have sufficient rollers that each one supports no more than about 100 pounds, and each can be turned by hand.....In other words, BETTER support.

Whether bunks or rollers, the assemblies come with brackets that are bolted on, not needing welding.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I am wanting to do the opposite. I have come across some really good set of rollers & am wanting to put those on. Looks like they bolt on so no welder needed but is it difficult to get them placed properly?
I have owned more trailers that I can imagine. ALL were roller except for 2. They both got rigged with roller bunks before ever launching. Not difficult - just use some common sense.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have owned more trailers that I can imagine. ALL were roller except for 2. They both got rigged with roller bunks before ever launching. Not difficult - just use some common sense.

Thanks for the response. I am very mechanically inclined but I always get nervous doing something for the first time. Always worked on automobiles & the whole boat thing is new for me. Thankfully there is a wealth of info on here.