Loading Larger Boats

IamMe

Cadet
Ok, so I have been a lurker on here for quite some time. Have read through the archives and have a few questions about trailer setup. I have owned several boats over the years all had properly set up trailers. I know the newest boat added to my fleet is the largest yet. I also have read where many comments are "I wouldn't trailer a boat that big" . I am and running down the road doesn't bother me. Trailer is a 15k tri-axle wood bunk trailer. I have the proper permits and run side load regular anyway. 10 foot beam doesn't bother me. I live in the middle of Florida almost dead center between coasts. Sometimes we weekend at different lakes. My issue is that I don't think this trailer is set up correctly or maybe I'm just not thinking clearly. Even with no wind, trailer guides and a couple people this boat is a pain to center. The boat is a 97 Monterey 276. The guides bend to easy in heavy winds due to the high sail area of the boat and its sheer weight. I can launch the boat by myself no problem. The trailer must go very deep in the water for the anchor pulpit to clear the guide roller and the guide roller stay above the cable eye on the boat. I have thought about adding side bunks to force the boat to center as the trailer comes out of the water. I will be replacing bunks soon and if I need to set the trailer up differently I would like to do it then. The trailer has two sets of bunks. One long set that runs about 3/4 the length of the boat and then a smaller set that cradles the keel up towards the bow about 4 or 5 foot long.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I can't help ya, but I know pix will give more info to members who can help.....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Side guides like this may help. Yours may need to be higher.
HPIM1691_zps9bivj0yj.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Side guides like this may help. Yours may need to be higher.

Yeah I can't imagine those side bunks did much of anything. The side bunks need to guide the boat while it is floating above the trailer, those bunks are probably well below the waterline during normal loading. If it were me, they would be up near the red/white border.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah I can't imagine those side bunks did much of anything. The side bunks need to guide the boat while it is floating above the trailer, those bunks are probably well below the waterline during normal loading. If it were me, they would be up near the red/white border.

I agree. They should have been taller. When I had this boat I just couldn't put the trailer in too deep and they worked pretty well.

IamMe

Cadet
No Title

Ok so here are some pics. I hope they turn out right. I had to text them to myself to shrink the size. I am afraid side bunks would have to be so,hight up that they wouldn't help. Maybe I,need to,tighten and reinforce my guide ons. So it fits tight to force it to center.

Attachments

• photo245074.jpg
    photo245074.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245075.jpg
    photo245075.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245076.jpg
    photo245076.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245077.jpg
    photo245077.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Pics of the front... From your description, you are backing in too much because of pulpit and winch post clearance. ANY boat will become a pain to load if you are too deep, so I don't think doing anything to the back of your trailer will fix it. I'd look at ways to figure out how to fix the front, if possible.

IamMe

Cadet
The boat is so long without the water well over the fenders it won't float off.

Maclin

Admiral
Maybe a modified retrieval procedure is needed. Floating off with the trailer deep is ok, facilitates launching. Retrieving though, the trailer probably needs to be shallower. This method is not easy with a solo captain but works great with a helper.... Center the boat with the trailer shallower. It will stop way shorter maybe than you are used to on the bunks. Then your Winchman hooks up the winch and cranks as far as feels good on the strap loading. It can take a lot, and even a big boat will move more than you may think. At some point the pilot gets out and teams up to work the winch or man the tow vehicle, moving the rig back a little at a time while continuing the winching. If I understand your dilemma, you have a pulpit that takes aim at the bowstop up front when you try to load with trailer deeper, but when shallower the vee up front should hit the rollers and begin to move up before that is a problem. As others have mentioned your trailer still may need some adjustments there or maybe on the keel roller height(s).

I had a bigger boat, not like yours, but I felt I needed to chock the tow vehicle's tires on this one steeper ramp. That was a challenge whenever I needed to do this method, took a few more movements. Probably seemed longer if I thought someone was watching.

Mine rode the keel rollers for a bit, then as it was winched on up right at the end it came up onto the bunks and rode there.

IamMe

Cadet
Ok, I have come to the conclusion that I need to raise my bunks slightly as well. The last time we loaded it apperantly was able to hit the cross members hard enough to tear off the rubber guard. I have no keel rollers on the trailer. I believe if I raise everything slightly to clear the trailer properly then load as Jack in maclin said it will work. I still may have to remove my anchor when loading but I am fine with that. I will try this next time and let you guys know what I find.

IamMe

Cadet
I want to thank everyone for the help. I have found that the front bunks need raised slightly. This will allow the boat to slide up without hitting the front roller on the anchor pulpit. After following the suggestions here as when we were at a ramp with no one waiting I have found out that some of the bunks are also mis-aligned causing the boat to attempt to load to one side.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A few years ago I helped a stranded boater by towing back his 25' sea ray cabin cruiser and helped him get it on his trailer. I was surprised at how easy it loaded. He had vertical, full height guides to center the boat as it came up the trailer.

oldjeep

Admiral
Boat looks too far forward or bunks too long - trim tabs in danger of getting mashed up if it doesn't come out of the water perfect.

IamMe

Cadet
I am guessing the bunks are to long. The boat is loaded about right load wise.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Bow pulpits can make loading a boat more difficult. My 250 Sundancer has a bow pulpit and depending on the ramp angle I sometimes have to adjust the tailer depth 3 times (keep backing it in deeper as the boat comes up on the trailer) to get it loaded without running it into the winch stand. Mine is a bunk, so I spray "Liquid Rollers" on them which makes the whole process easier.

Thalasso

Commander
I am guessing the bunks are to long. The boat is loaded about right load wise.

I can tell you what size boat that trailer is set up for. 35 ft. Whats going to happen is your going to miss the retrieval
and your going to try and make a steering correction. That will be about the time the prop shortens one bunk or the other. Trust me. Been there done that.
When you say forward bunks are you referring to what is called target bunks?
What does the winch stand look like? (pic)
Mine is 30ft long and ten foot wide and i only submerge the second wheel

Last edited:

IamMe

Cadet
I will take a few pics when I get home. I am trying to learn all I can about this before we change the trailer.