Do you leave your harness plugged in the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Nope, drill drains holes is not a good idea for my, LED enclosures are suppossed to be sealed even the plastic case. IMHO. Anyway I always unplug my wiring harness

My fixtures were not described as sealed for submersion and they're not. Water can get into them, but drains out again. I boat in fresh water only and have had no problems since installing these to replace incandescent fixtures about 12 years ago. I think the LED lampsets I have are themselves fully sealed before being mounted in the unsealed fixtures. - Grandad

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would never bother installing LED lights unless they are advertised for submersion.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
LEDs themselves are sealed but their leads are exposed to the elements unless varnished or otherwise sealed. It's the leads and/or connectors that'll cause problems with them in certain conditions. LED bulb replacements will still have the lamp socket corrosion issues.

It's best to be completely sealed. Open at the bottom to create a trapped air cavity and properly drain and ventilate any condensation might work OK.

I prefer to not sink the lights under water by either not backing in so far if practical or mount the lights high enough to keep them above water.

Bkok33

Seaman
I leave mine plugged in. Haven't had a problem yet. But planning on changing them out to LED lights soon.

mschwartz815

Cadet
Started boating in the 60s with my father. Always salt water. Dad always unplugged the trailer before it hit the water. I don't remember any shorting out stories.
But knowing what I do about automotive electronics I couldn't imagine subjecting my tow vehicle to the slightest chance of a short.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I unplug my trailer lights when launching/retrieving my boat because I have experienced the wiring that gets submerged to be "plated" away by electrolysis causing loss of lights. The wire was eroded down to a sharp point, it looked like a uniform long taper just like a needle. The type of lamp, Incandescent or LED, would have no effect on this process as it is an electroplating event.The location where this happened was in the rear marker lights which was constructed with a section of uninsulated solid copper wire that bridged the sockets within the assembly. (All my boating is done in salt water.) Food for thought.

Safe & Happy Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.