Do you leave your harness plugged in the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have always unplugged my trailer's wire harness from my truck prior to dunking the trailer in the water at my boat ramp. I just figured that if the lights weren't energizing underwater, there was less likelihood of the lights shorting out or corroding.

My new trailer has 4 wheel surge disc brakes, and if I unplug the harness, I can't back up the trailer without the brakes locking up instantly. I've embraced defeat and just started to dunk the trailer with the harness plugged in. What do you guys do at the ramp, leave the harness plugged or unplugged into your truck?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
My trailer had a pin that I could insert to prevent the brakes from locking up. It would prevent the solenoid from engaging.
does yours have the pin, or the holes to insert one?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Since changing the lights on my trailer to LED, I don't bother unplugging. 12 volts won't short in the freshwater where I launch. I found it difficult to keep water out of the fixtures and ultimately drilled drain holes. It hasn't been a problem, including for my electric brakes. - Grandad

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have electric brakes, and before I switched to LEDs, I had incandescent bulbs. I used to always unplug the trailer, when I first started. After a few times, I no longer bothered to unplug the trailer. Never hurt a thing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't hurt to dunk them connected in salt water either. All my lights are sealed.

puddle jumper

Captain
I agree with others go with led lights and don't modify the wiring harness. Never had a problem in the salt chuck

thumpar

Admiral
I have never unplugged on either of my trailers. The only problem I ever ran into was a bad ground but that would not matter if it was plugged in or not.

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Never have unplugged and would probably forget if I needed to, I concentrate on installation of drain plug :)

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I guess I was the only guy in history that actually unplugged my wire harness before getting the trailer wet.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No you're not. I unplug mine 90% of the time cause fuses have burnt. I keep spares so I can use the lights as a guide when loading after dark

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Well, I guess I was the only guy in history that actually unplugged my wire harness before getting the trailer wet.

Nope. My father and brother unplug theirs too. They don't understand why I don't...... I guess I never had one burn out...

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I never have unplugged even with the old style bulbs. I do want led though simply because I have to redo the wiring anyway and rather not have to change out a bulb on the side of the road or have a trip cut out because of a burnt out bulb.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have had incandescent bulbs break upon getting wet , so for years I unplugged. Now I have LED bulns, soldered and sealed wiring, and disk brakes so I keep it plugged in

oldjeep

Admiral
I suspect that those who have burnt out bulbs and those who haven't can be explained very easily. If you are driving to the ramp in the dark or standing on the brakes for long periods of time before backing in then I'll bet you had issues with bulbs. If you are driving in daylight and have no reason to be sitting on the brakes then your bulbs are cool when you put them in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.