Sanity Check

khobombed

Cadet
I just need some input on whether or not the trailer is too small. The boat is about 5k lbs and I plan to upgrade the tires to 15" I don't want to be one of those guys on the side of the road this weekend.

Attachments

• Picture2-1.jpg
    Picture2-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is the trailer rated for and have you weighed the whole thing?

khobombed

Cadet
What is the trailer rated for and have you weighed the whole thing?
No water or gear just batteries. Trailer is 5k rated. For now i want to make sure it is sitting right before i even tow it to the nearest scales.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Also consider that upgrading to 15 inch wheels ( assuming you have 14 now ) will mean less clearance between tire to tire and also tire to fender. Usually axles get moved to support larger tires ( at least in the rv world, I think the same holds true here.)

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I would guess just the boat is 6k with full gas tank. If it has foam that's water logged and anything like that, you're looking at more.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No water or gear just batteries. Trailer is 5k rated. For now i want to make sure it is sitting right before i even tow it to the nearest scales.
Trailers are usually rated for gross load which includes trailer weight. Have a picture of the rating sticker?

thumpar

Admiral
I think you are pushing it with that trailer. When you add up the weight of fuel and batteries you will probably be at or above the limit right there. Now put in any gear you get way over. The gear may not seem like it weighs much but when you add it all up it is more than you would think. Also, what are you towing it with? You may be pushing it there too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bottom line, you need to weigh this rig to see what total weight you have. All we can do is guess at this point.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
My knee jerk reaction is triple axel.... It just looks bow heavy. Bruce is right though, if you really want to use that trailer.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
The trailer looks like it has a bow in it already from the weight over time. Trailer looks undersized to me.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Go to a truck stop scale,drop the boat in a parking spot,weigh the tow vehicle,then hook up the boat and get a total weight..
It costs 12.50 for both weighs.

khobombed

Cadet
Without easy access to scales I did the next best thing and measured the tongue weight, 650 lbs. The new 15" tires fit perfectly and I traded in the Explorer for a Siverado. The 30 mile tow trip went smoothly and I will be putting the boat in a slip and selling the trailer to get a bigger one. Thanks for all the input.