Needing to repaint my trailer

78sunrunner

Cadet
Hi all, I have a question. What would be the best way to get my boat off it's trailer for repainting? The is a 78 Sunrunner 18' with the Mercruiser 470 3.7L and Mercruiser outdrive. hanks.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Drop it in the water! I repainted mine a couple years ago at a resort. I tied off to the dock and pulled the trailer to the far corner away from everybody else and went to it. 5 or 6 cans of Rustoleum later......brand new trailer!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I repainted my trailer a couple of years ago. I was doing a fair amount of work on mine, so I needed to have the boat off the trailer for a couple of weeks. I supported the hull with a V-shaped block under the hull and stacks of wood blocking under the hull near the transom. Initially, I jacked up the boat using a couple of hydraulic bottle jacks (with short piece of 2x6 to spread the load) and then moved the trailer out from under the boat. I had to move the supports a couple of times as the trailer crossbars came close to the blocking, but it was really pretty easy. Then I left the boat where it was and took the trailer off to work on it.

I've heard of others pulling the boat off the trailer by strapping the transom to a tree, putting some old tires on the ground under the boat, and then pulling the trailer out from under the boat, but that made me a bit nervous. That, and I have a hard enough time winching my boat forward an inch or two on the trailer when the boat's loaded wrong. I couldn't imagine winching it all the way back on the trailer. I know others have done it that way, but I didn't want to try.

Good luck.

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
Find a big tree.
0522161405_HDR1_zpsafev9cjx.jpg

0522161434_HDR1_zpszbfhxlbx.jpg

0522161449_HDR1_zps6tnkdi3j.jpg

Or some ladders, an i beam and some ratchet straps... lol
FB_IMG_14642919589991_zpszyndzqv0.jpg