plastic step fender mounts

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'm trying to change out the fenders on my 3" square tube trailer with 13" wheels and have had problems finding a way to mount them because my spring mounts are in the way. I ordered a set of bigger fenders that would clear the mounts but they look ridiculous and hit the boat unless I lower them a couple inches below the trailer frame.

Plan B is to order smaller fenders for 12" wheels, but again because of the spring mounts none of the stock mounts will fit.

I found some 1/8" steel plates that are 4" wide by 12" long. If I either bend them to 90 degrees or cut them and have them welded into L brackets would 1 on each side of the fender (bolted to the frame) be strong enough for standing on or will they just straighten out over time?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can you post some pictures?
Is the axle adjustable? The fenders on one of my trailer uses the same bolts as the axle.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'll try getting some pics up tomorrow. The old steel fenders used the axle bolts but the plastic ones require plates under the steps that mount to the trailer frame. My springs are a lot longer than the ones Karavan uses on their trailers so as it turns out it doesn't make for an easy fit. I thought this would be an easy project but including shipping I've essentially wasted $90 on a useless pair of fenders.

I wanted the bigger/longer plastic fenders because gravel roads are really screwing up the paint job on my boat!