License Plate Troubles

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I feel like this is such a dumb question but, I can't get my plate to stay on my trailer!!!
I've tried bolts with locking nuts, but they vibrated off.
I tried zip ties but they also eventually disappear.
The trailer isn't THAT low and the plate is right near the axle, so I don't think I'm dragging the plate, but it just vibrates off. What do you guys do? I don't want to weld the nut into a bolt but I might have to. Nothing else on the trailer ever comes loose.

dz9VUl5.jpg

l008com

This is what I used originally and they both vibrated loose and fell off. Ill try again I guess, maybe add some loctite too. Or if I have any 5200 opened, some of that as threadlock :D

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
they use nylok nuts on helicopters and they do not vibrate off so you must have some sort of other problem

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If a trailer is vibrating so bad that the license plate nuts shake loose, then you best check the tires for tread separation, bulges or other indications of a tire coming apart or misadjusted wheel bearings causing wheel wobble. That much vibration is not normal.

thumpar

Admiral
Are you sure they are vibrating loose and not just breaking off? What hardware are you using? You may also check to see if the small plate is an option in your state. Here we can use the plate on trailers that are the same size as the motorcycle plates.

KD4UPL

Ny-locks vibrated off?! I don't think so. If that's the case your trailer shakes so bad it's not safe to pull down the road.

l008com

I know they came lose, as opposed to breaking off, because i caught them loose a few times and had to keep tightening them. And my trailer has no vibration as all that I can feel. The tires are new and great, wheel bearings are new, and there is no vibration that you can see or feel while driving. Maybe the nylon locks were old and got brittle and weren't really gripping any more? I'll try them again, hopefully I have better luck this time around. I find it hard to believe that I have an elf that goes around loosening license plate bolts.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If a trailer is vibrating so bad that the license plate nuts shake loose, then you best check the tires for tread separation, bulges or other indications of a tire coming apart or misadjusted wheel bearings causing wheel wobble. That much vibration is not normal.

What Silvertip said.... You have an excessive vibration issue..... I just use nylon bolts and nuts.......