Bow Roller & Trailer Guides

jfried

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 23' bowrider, with a matching trailer. .

#1. My boat is 8'6 wide, is it legal to install the trailer guides / poles to help keep the boat straight on the trailer, and keep them on when driving?

#2. I've got black marks on my bow from the black rubber bow roller. Does switching to a polyurethane roller prevent this? If so, why don't they all have polyurethane rollers?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Guide poles will probably have to be removable.
The side bunks should be able to be placed low enough to where the taper of the hull allows them to not be wider than the beam.

The yellow translucent rollers/bumpers won't leave black marks. They cost more is why the black rubber is more common.

jfried

Seaman Apprentice
Guide poles will probably have to be removable.
The side bunks should be able to be placed low enough to where the taper of the hull allows them to not be wider than the beam.

The yellow translucent rollers/bumpers won't leave black marks. They cost more is why the black rubber is more common.

Thanks.

My trailer doesn't have "side bunks", but rather, just protective carpet on the tire fenders. Problem is that they don't really extend high enough to guide the boat in when submerged.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
My trailer doesn't have "side bunks", but rather, just protective carpet on the tire fenders. Problem is that they don't really extend high enough to guide the boat in when submerged.
Yup. Guide posts need to be long and strong to be of any real use, particularly on steeper launch ramps. I don't know what the regulations are in your neighborhood, but I'd be inclined to add them and ask for forgiveness if anyone objects. I suppose you could come up with a design that swivels out into place when needed, but swing back behind the transom after loading, but it would be a challenge to also keep the mount strong. - Grandad