light question...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ok, you have a bad ground. I always run ground to each light, don't depend on the ground screwed to the tounge. And I did say it's better to replace the harness along wirh the lights. But being only a couple years old, the wire should be ok, Look for a bad ground.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
power goes into the light. by 1 wire. light will not work unless power can go through light and escape out, thus the ground wire which completes the circuit . trailers are easy. the metal trailer itself can be the ground. 1 wire bolted to trailer from car typically white three more wires control the lights. 1 going to all lights usually brown is running lights, 1 usually yellow will run to one side and control brakes and blinkers. the other side is typically green if the bulb dont fix it problem could be at the plug, corrosion at light socket, or broken wire..... not much to them

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
check for a bad ground for that light, corrosion where it mounts to trailer or wire ground all the way to housing. sometimes when ground is bad the electricity back feeds on one of the other wires causing all lights dead or all lights dim and no brake or turn ( brighter light). my thought is at the light itself, corrosion or broken wire.

tws

Cadet
thanks everyone! i'll check the two grounds one on the tongue and the other (white) wire at the harness...

tws

Cadet
after calling ezloader about my errant trailer light they promptly sent me another via mail... so thank you ezloader for your support.... if i can''t get my existing light to work i'll be installing this new light... however this new light comes with a two prong plug in and i do not have a corresponding one to plug into... hopefully i can purchase one at an auto parts store... also this light has only two bulbs instead of three? i wonder if that makes a difference... or maybe this is the right side light and i need the left side...

further, i noticed that the right side (passenger side) light does not have a white ground wire, and it works perfectly. i'll take it off and see if it has only two lights... that will tell me if i now have two passenger side lights...

Attachments

• newlight1.jpg
    newlight1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0

ihc1470

Seaman
As others have said here what you probably have is a bad ground on that left light. What it is doing is back feeding the tail light through the brake filament and finding a ground up in your towing vehicle. Not at all unusual to happen. Reason it goes out when trying to brake or turn is you are removing the incorrect ground circuit that the electricity has found. That is the reason it is always a good idea when checking taillights on anything to have both the taillights and turn signals working at the same time when using a 1157 style bulb. You then are also testing the ground circuit to make sure it is correct. Clean your mounting of that left light and see how the bulb base is grounded especially if it is the typical all plastic boat light housing. I would use a little dielectric grease when going back together. Probably will solve your issue.

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nissan have a separate fuses for the trailer. It's not a regular fuse but a enclosed one that looks like a relay. There is one for the drivers side and one for the passages side of the trailer. The problems your describing seem to point at the truck fuse because mine had the same issue before the dealership informed me of the separate fuses for the trailer.