need all the advice i could get, trailer repair, boat guides, docking and loading

purchased a 15ft lund with 40hp evenrude and console steering, came on a very small trailer, the trailer needs almost every roller replaced in the middle, and the two I'm not sure what to call it, and explaination of everything id need to know would be great! but say theres the trailer, tongue-winch-middle rollers support V of hull- and a good 6 ft of support on either side of middle rollers-- barely fits inbetween the two spines under the boat making it very difficult to land the boat squarely on the trailer, and any tips or advice for landing a boat, and or how to install guides rollers and anything that may help so the rear end of the boat doesn't sway when trying to load would be vermuch appreciated , I have one arm and its quite the challenge to keep the boat straight while cranking it up. also where or how do I find the rollers I need to replace, and as for a transom saver, is it okay to have a moter without electric tilt supported by one? the rod that goes from the prop to the trailer when hauling. not sure what else I can think of, stuck at work while dreaming about opener.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
15', Is this a fiberglass Lund?
Rollers all can be replaced. You'll need to know the length and the shaft diameter size.
What would be best is to get a photobucket account and post up some pictures of the boat on the trailer. It will make it much easier to make suggestions.

literaly been stuck at work but will definatly get some pictures uploaded, its an aluminum lund pike, console steering, 1980s, 84 evinrude 40horse really am glad you posted to my listing, ive been all over iboat and seen your replies to others, very informative, ive just never owned a boat with console steering, let alone a trailer, always just threw my Grumman sportboat on the roof of my mustang and raced to the fishing hole it was a head turner.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

It seems to me that you may benefit from installing a pair of these side guides. Also, I highly recommend you cut off the bolts holding your current frozen rollers rather than trying to unscrew them. The time savings will be SIGNIFICANT. I recommend the use of a battery operated sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Drip some oil on the blade to speed things along. Of course you'll want the boat off the trailer to do the work on the rollers. I took mine to the local ramp to work on mine and then did the repairs in the parking lot while the boat was tied to the dock.

If you only have one arm you may want to enlist somebody to help you. They don't need to be skilled but ought to have at least a little mechanical aptitude. It's not rocket science and while the job can be done by one person, I don't know how I'd do it alone if I only had one hand. It can be frustrating enough with two. That second person will make all the difference in both results and reduced frustration.

When you get ready to do this, accumulate more hardware than you think you'll need. You will invariably lose a nut in the grass and you won't want to make another trip to the store. As for a source of the things you need, you should start right here on iboats. Most marine supply places will also carry a selection. http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Trailer-P...50--view_id.18

Attachments

• photo243459.jpg
    photo243459.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Tie the boat to atree and pull the trailer out from under it.

And welcome to the forum.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
15' aluminum Lund, I'll say that there aren't many of those around. Most are 14' or 16' but still a nice rig..

Will be waiting to see the pictures, it will really help for one to see how this thing fits and 2, it will help ID the trailer. If the trailer is truly too small for the boat you might need to start looking for a replacement.

What are the ramps like that you use? Steep. flat, concrete, gravel? Is there a pier? On a shallow flat ramp the side guilds don't offer much help in keeping the boat straight while trying to get it started on the trailer. Especially like mine where the rear of the trailer is barely in the water. We can discuss this later after the trailer is straightened out and everything is functional.

Is this the Pike 15 you have?
http://www.lundboats.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/1981.pdf[/QUOTE right below the walleyes and EXACTLY above and to the right the young man in the pike 15, above the s/l 1600's is the boat, the seat in the bow is in the middle of the floor and navigation lights. I wish it had the platform for a trolling moter. any thoughts or experience with a boat of this model? with 2 dogs and 2 guys it can be difficult from getting on plane to bogging water if they are moving around.

my apologies I have been swamped at work and recently became an uncle and have been helping much with the new neice .

airshot

Rear Admiral
If that 40 is tuned properly and you have the right prop it should have no problem with 2 adults and 2 dogs. I had a starcraft viscount 16' with a 40 and it was no problem with 4 adults...about 27-28 mph and planed out nicely. Those Lunds are the Cadillac of alum hull boats, enjoy yours....

thumpar

Admiral
One tip is to not put the trailer in too deep when loading. Let the boat come up on the rollers. They will tend to center the boat once it starts to get to the point it is touching the rollers. If the boat if fully floating and you pull it out of the water you never know how it will end up on the trailer.

I replaced one chewed up roller today and crawled underneath to level out the rolers and move em up a little, some are a little worn, one even has a grove of the keel, should I repace these too, it almost looks like they want to make the boat a little crooked, and then this is something you may know, cavitation bubbles or something, I scrapped my V the middle spine on something and it has some sharp scratches, almost like a steak knife, will these affect my propeller with little bubbles or anything like that>??
For those of you who are interested, PICTURES ARE COMINGG

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Can't tell by that picture just how those roller bunks are attached. I don't see U bolts.

My impression from the picture. Trailer size looks fine though not sure of the set-up. Looks like those are aftermarket roller bunks which there is nothing wrong with that other than everything looks high. Those roller bunks do need to be moved off the rivets. Maybe moved in just 1" would be enough. Don't see anything here that can't be fixed. I do see that the front roller on the one bunk is no touching the hull.

Still haven't mentioned whether this is a tilt trailer or not. If it was me doing this I would keep the roller bunks and look for different mounting brackets were you can lower the bunks and those keel rollers. For now you could just use the existing hardware and mount with U bolts to move them over and lower.

More pictures? From the side.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
What I would do is...JUNK all the center rollers, install wide vee rollers at the end of the trailer and at the second roller position, then a regular roller at the front. Then side rollers or poles at the end of the trailer.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
What I would do is...JUNK all the center rollers, install wide vee rollers at the end of the trailer and at the second roller position, then a regular roller at the front. .

Works in theory but not in practice. I know from experience because I tried that same trick under my Lund. It did nothing to help center the boat.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Works in theory but not in practice. I know from experience because I tried that same trick under my Lund. It did nothing to help center the boat.
I had to do the same thing on a old trailer I had under a Sylvan Sea Monster, I had, before I purchased a new trailer.

No Title

hey guys writing a new post, im free from the abductor sling, all i can say is NEVER EVER EVER get shoulder surgery before fishing opener!
i have completely gutted my lund to the ribs and rebuilding from the floor up could use some ideas on carpentry, carpeting/interior gas tanks and batterys weight displacements, trolling motors down riggers, planner boards dipsy divers, steering / shift /accelerator cables Floor vs gunnel

Attachments

• photo263500.jpg
    photo263500.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0