Trailer Wheel wobble / Drag

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
First let me say it's been so long since I've been to Iboats. I really enjoyed this forum & now I remember it I'll be sure to visit more often.

Now for the problem. A couple years ago my cotter pin apparently broke & my axle nut fell off. Luckily I caught this pretty quick & at low speed.
The tire did rub against the fender a bit & I did notice some grooving on the spindle but I made it into a parking lot before it came completely off.
I remember fixing it & making it home and honestly don't remember seeing any wobble but I noticed it last year. So I jack it up & gave it a spin. Definitely a wobble & it stops very quickly. Even after noticing this I was dumb & pulled it about 30 miles after pressure from friends to "bring your boat!!"
I stopped every 15 mins or so on the way there & the hub never even got warm.
Anyways. I would like to fix it 100% before this season so I don't have to worry.
Could I just have a damaged hub? I've called a few trailer repair shops about a new spindle & they all say just to replace the axle (which is last resort for me($$$))
I believe I have a video of it spinning if that would help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no where in your post do I see anything about routine maintenance of the hub and bearing. dont even need to look at your video. you need bearings. if there is any gooving of the spindle, you may need a new axle

so break out your tools, pull the hub apart and inspect. if its only bearings, spend the $20 on new bearings and seal, pack them with grease, and make sure you keep greasing the bearings.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I replaced the bearings & races in the hubs (on both sides)
The spindle doesnt look bent or anything but yes it did scratch / groove it a bit. (I would say scratched)
Maybe the races didnt seat properly?
I did replace the wheel with my spare. Same thing.
I will have to pull it off this weekend & really look to see if it bent the spindle.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Replace the hub/spindle... It is bent, you won't see it visually but once you slap a tire on it, the degree of bend is apparent (hence the wobble)

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
So you think the spindle was damaged also? Should I buy a new hub first & see what happens?

oldjeep

Admiral
1) Remove the wheel and see if the hub is wobbling or just the wheel. - I'd use a dial indicator
2) Remove hub and check conditions of bearings and their fit on the spindle

Once you do that you should know if it is the wheel, bearings, hub, spindle or all of the above.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look closely at the inner and outer races. I think one of them may be cocked.

The other side is OK? Swap hubs to see if the wobble changes sides.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys .
Yes the other side is fine. Great idea :)