Stainless steel leaf spring trailer bolts?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am doing some maintenance on my tri-ax. aluminum railed trailer. It is rated at 13500 lbs. I replaced leaf springs and replaced shackle bolts with 1/2" 304 SS bolts and lock nuts and proper sized leaf spring spacer for 1/2 bolts. Since my trailer will be used in salt water, I chose SS bolts. A local trailer shop indicated SS bolts would work fine, even though he only sells grade 8 or 10 steel bolts for leaf springs. Owner said that he didn't get much of a demand due his customers not wanting to spend the extra money on SS. It seems penny wise and pound fooling by not spending the extra on SS if you have a salt water application.

Recently, a friend warned me that grade 8 bolts would last longer since they are harder. However, salt water in not too friendly on these non-SS bolts.

I plan on transporting a 7000 lb boat on this trailer for over 1000 miles. Anyone had problems using 304 SS leaf spring bolts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
304 sttainless is only as strong as a grade 2. I prefer galvanized or florokoted fasteners

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
308 1/2 bolt shear strength is a little over 45000 psi or a little over 5000 lbp, tanden axle with rockers should be 14 bolts for suspention, so take trailer weight plus boat weight divided by 14 will give a very close guesstimation of the load per bolt

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Works out to be 500 lbs per bolt +/- ( taking into consideration tongue weight on tow vehicle)

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I would stick with at least grade 8 bolts over 304. Also keep in mind 304 will rust, just not as bad. I would rather have rusty bolts then chance it, and as Scott mentioned find galvanized grade 8 or 10

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not to mention stainless bolts are a one-time use, then the threads gall.

I run a 9/16" galvanized shackle kit on all the spring shackles. Proper shackle bolts will have a very short threaded section and a long shank once installed, I hit with a cold galvanizing spray to cover any tool marks. Then go boating - I dip in the brine all the time, Just lube the shackles periodically (like when you check the wheel bearings).

I have not opted for the greasable shackle bolts yet, as the cross-drilling weakens them. I do hit the shackles with a shot of LPS #3 or Red & Redi or even white lithium using a spray tube. I will soon be trying the LPS clear penetrating grease (its GRAS listed, so I figure better for the environment). I would rather have a bit of grease overspray on the shackle bolts vs a rusty shackle that squeaks.

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
if you'd rather use titanium, :) I have a source, being a mechanical engineer has its advantages

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Once any bolt is galvanized it looses shear strength , on a 1/2" bolt it will have a shear strength of about 8000psi less then a non galvanized bolt of same composition, galvanizing softens the bolt, cyonide use to be used in the process ( old way) now the new way uses a man made equivelant to cyonide , can't remember off the top of my noggin

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If ya use anything but steel bolts, it's Harder to take apart later,.....

With steel bolts, I just torch 'em off, 'n get new,....

SSteel the threads gall, 'n ya end up bustin' 'em off, with the ole pipe on a breaker-bar trick,....

Torches won't cut ssteel,....

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,.... If ya use anything but steel bolts, it's Harder to take apart later,.....

With steel bolts, I just torch 'em off, 'n get new,....

SSteel the threads gall, 'n ya end up bustin' 'em off, with the ole pipe on a breaker-bar trick,....

Torches won't cut ssteel,....

My 60 amp plazma cutter will.

"Fluid Film" is great stuff for steel.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
SS bolts looks nice but doesnt hold sttrenght you need to installa in your trailer galnanized bolts with lock nuts. Forget about SS. Bolts, they are weak.