Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
My first post on this forum, wish I had known about it years ago. Anyway my question - I recently had the bearings on my boat trailer repacked. I usually do it myself but am getting lazy in my old age so I when I got new tires on my trailer I had them do the bearings. After I thought I should know what grease they used so if I have to add a little grease via the bearing buddies I could use the same. I called the place that did it and they said they buy the grease in bulk and the side of the barrel said Chevron heavy duty. I believe Chevron sells its grease under the name Delo. I cannot find this grease anywhere in cartridges. My question is if I use another similar wheel bearing grease would that cause problems. If it would then I guess I would have to pull the bearings, clean and repack them with my usual wheel bearing grease. I am thinking as long as I use a similar grease I will be ok. What do you all think?

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do it all the time. As long as it is a good heavy grease made for axles go for it .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It has to be made from the same base. You can't mix different bases.

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
I use Lucas Marine grease, my trailering axle is part of the boat( built in) even though when I' m on the water the trailer wheels and axle are completely out of the water, once a month I pull my hubs and check for water inside, if it is present I replace the seals repack and Im good. So far in 5 yrs only once I found water inside the hub

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i would have them scoop out a good bit and put it in a jar for later, but thats just me

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Odds are you can use 'bout any standard chassis/ wheel bearin' grease from 'bout any manufacturer, without any issues,....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,.... Odds are you can use 'bout any standard chassis/ wheel bearin' grease from 'bout any manufacturer, without any issues,....

almost all of it is lithium base, and all compatible with each other.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
almost all of it is lithium base, and all compatible with each other.
The Sta Lube marine grease that many people use including myself is aluminum complex

My suggestion is pick a grease with whatever specs you like and stick with it for all your trailers. Wash out all the old grease and go with your pick. That is what I do when I pick up a new trailer. Some greases will mix with others but it may affect the drop point and washout characteristics so you risk that if you mix.

I like Sta Lube because it's drop point is 500 vs 400 for Lubriplate which is a lithium grease. I have disc brakes so I wanted the highest drop point.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
While we are on the subject of greasing bearings, This bearing packer is what I use. It is way better than the 2 cone type and way less messy. I used to do all bearings by hand until I bought this thing. I have to use it in a vise when using a thick grease like StaLube

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-Ha.../dp/B0002NYDYO

Last edited:

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I have had various experiences with trailer bearing grease from places like Advance Auto. I bought some from them that was red and it constantly turned to water in the tube and ran all over the place. When I finally took it out of everything that I own, it was pink as I removed it. Recently I found a product called green grease and it has been good so far. Years ago I had an uncle that worked for Sun Oil company, he used to bring us some yellow waterproof grease, but when you think about it, all grease is waterproof. That stuff was the best wheel bearing grease I've used