Trailer capacity

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings, I need a lighter trailer for my 1972 16-ft Fibreform. The one seen here is galvanized steel and is maxing out my Mazda B4000. I know Fibreforms are a heavier-than-average hull, but does anyone have an idea what the weight of this boat might be so I can get a trailer to match? The tag on the inside says it has a payload of 1600 lbs. Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
I think you need another tow vehicle. I find the boat weights around 1100, then add the motor and gear, 1600 sounds about right with room for safety.

NYBo

Admiral
BTW, the rated load capacity of the boat has nothing to do with the weight of the boat.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here is the pic again; don't know what happened there. I can see it.

Thanks for the comments.Yes, I need another truck. No. I can't afford one. I didn't find weight info at the iboats site (or I missed it). Would you mind sending the link to where you found it?

Attachments

• photo243078.jpg
    photo243078.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
If you go to the link NYBo listed there are several boat years listed. I went to the 1972 then picked a bow rider, which yours isn't but gets close. Some of the listing don't have the weight and others do. Here is the one I found
http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Fiberform__Bowrider__1972/bp/66b32345

Understand funds being tight and don't mean to offend. It's my opinion finding a trailer which is slightly lighter weight would not save that much, maybe 50 pounds or so. Only way to get one which weights much less would be to get an aluminum, but then that would be pricey.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks AllDodge. No offense taken! In checking that link and others, I think the boat is either a Bowrider (1035 lbs), Columbia (835 lbs) or Voyager (875 lbs). It was one of the ones made in Kelowna, BC and details are skimpy. I've also read that short history written by the fellow who once worked for Fibreform in Washington state. Good background there, but few specifics. Definitely, a bigger truck with automatic transmission (mine's manual) and an aluminum trailer would be ideal, but my truck pulls everything OK without labouring the engine. I made a set of large chocks by staggering four pieces of 2 by 10 together (like a step) and it holds the truck firm on any ramp I use. I use 4WD low to pull the trailer up the ramp without any trouble.

bigdee

Commander
I'm trying to figure out why you think you need a bigger truck??

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
You're right, I don't, though it certainly would be easier to haul the boat out of the water. Also I have to admit to some truck envy when I see some of the bigger trucks effortlessly pulling boats up the ramp. But I'll get over it.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's a 16' outboard on a single axle trailer. Most minivans will haul that. My Sienna could haul that over any mountain pass and pull it out on a gravel ramp. Get one with AWD and you are golden. Plus you can carry plywood sheets home and park at Walmart. That Mazda with a V6 will easily handle it.

Or get a Turbo Diesel 3/4 ton crew cab with at least a 6" lift kit and chip the thing. Then oversize the tires and lower all the axle ratios. Make sure it's black so you know if it is at all dirty. Of course you'll have to carry a step stool for the wife and park near the RV's at Walmart, but you won't have truck envy.

bigdee

Commander
You're right, I don't, though it certainly would be easier to haul the boat out of the water. Also I have to admit to some truck envy when I see some of the bigger trucks effortlessly pulling boats up the ramp. But I'll get over it.

When this temporary low price on gas ends you will quickly get over that envy!

thumpar

Admiral
How long have you been towing this boat? It my just take some time getting used to. I used to tow my sunrunner with a safari van and barely noticed it was there.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Rallyart, trucks like you mentioned (funny) not my style either. I'm a pensioner (67) who knows which way to wear a baseball cap. And bigdee, you're spot on about gas prices. There's a big difference between "nice to have" and "need to have."

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Thumper, been using this this boat for three trips so far. I only really notice the weight when hauling it out of the chuck. But as I said, 4WD L will pull it out without straining the engine and clutch.