Tire recomendation

oldjeep

Admiral
Most boat axle bolt patterns are the same as a ford ranger 2 wheel drive, so an LT tire in 14" on aluminum ford ranger wheels looks sharp and can handle Id say a single axle up to 3500 lbs or the axles rating

Need to be careful using car rims. Offset is wrong and hard On bearings.

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Usually offset on a 2 wheel drive ranger wheel is 6 mm , so 6 times .03937= .23622
So just under 1/4". ( .03937 is the multiple for converting metric to standard)

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I to have used Goodyear Marathons got hhe last 30 years, I think reading these forums instills fear in anyone, I just purchased a set of Carlisles, they refused them a few years back, time will tell,

robert graham

Admiral
How far you push your luck with the age of tires must depend at least partly on how Far and how Fast you're pulling your boat....2 or 3 miles to the local ramp at 45 MPH is one thing but 500 miles at 70 MPH is a different scenario....As Harry Callahan would say, "do you feel lucky, punk?".....

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I to have used Goodyear Marathons got hhe last 30 years, I think reading these forums instills fear in anyone, I just purchased a set of Carlisles, they refused them a few years back, time will tell,

supposed to read-redesigned, not refused

Last edited:

upstech76

Cadet
I ended up going with a set of Kenda tires from etrailer. Read good things about them and they offer a Load D in a 14" tire for very little difference in money. These definitely have to be an improvement over my china bombs. Made 2 short trips thus far with no issues (not that I would expect any).

ezmac

Seaman Apprentice
Be careful when going to a higher rated load carrying tire. Going from a load range C to a load range D you will be adding higher inflation pressure. Most of the stress on a wheel is not the load but rather the inflation. Backing down the driveway is one thing but hitting a chuck hole at hiway speed is another. You could split a wheel if a wheel is overloaded. The tire can carry the load but the wheel may not. Wheels have a load ratings as do tires. That information should be stamped on it somewhere usually somewhere around the stem. If not stamped on the outside it may be on the inside. Be safe.

NHGuy

Captain
Tires of same size with higher ratings require higher pressures to get that increased capacity. There are load charts available. Usually the D will carry the same amount at the C's pressure, but not every time. So check that the wheel and valve can take the pressure the D tire needs. Or run the D's a little higher than the C's for a safety margin.
Don't get D's and run them like C's. That just creates more heat and rolling resistance due to pulling the sturdier tires along.
If you go all the way to the max pressure you add the capacity and give back some brake and corner traction from your slightly smaller contact patch...of course nobody corners a trailer enough to slide. Only folks having an emergency.
2WD Ranger wheels are zero offset, so no issue with that. Trailer wheels and hubs in our sizes all use the same zero offset 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle, its a standard item. In the trade it's called "5 on 4 and a half". You will see it printed as 5:4.5"
Boat trailer tires are sometimes near capacity and need full inflation. But every travel trailer I have seen does that. They are notoriously cheap in that business.
To see you trailer's capacity and recommended pressures and tire size look on the left, oops port, side of the tongue, there will be a placard.

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I feel like trailer tires are akin to engine oil in opinions...I'll share my meager experiences.

I have been thru 4 sets of china bombs, Carlisle RH radials, LT tires and rated passenger tires on trailers...currently I have Continental load-rated16" radial tires on my boat trailer and by far the best tire I've towed with. Bias-ply are old school and for me have not lasted more than 3 years...my RH on my camper are on 4th year and are great, but the sides are showing some small cracks...time for replacement (or a new camper). LT or rated passenger tires seem to be of better quality and better designs...I know they're not designed for trailers. Someone (an expert on tires) should explain the different "loads" compared to a passenger vehicle?

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
with trailer tires you just never know when you hit the mark of death...my setup is a 2005 21' rinker captiva with the heavy single trailer, this year my barely 5yr old tire blew out on a trip to michigan, 1 tire blew out getting on highway for the return trip, took 1 1/2 hrs to change that one because the tire got wrapped around the caliper. then about 20miles later the other tire blew .... on a holiday Sunday after 5pm... but a nice state trooper knew a guy that comes out and changes tires on the highway... we're saved!!! now after new tires on trip 2 boat ramp took out a new tire so none of the tires match now, come spring new tires for trailer and spare is needed. B bring O out A another T thousand!!! just because they look good????? miles and years and pressure is what kills tires. keep a good watch out and an extra $1000... :)