Tire recomendation

upstech76

Cadet
Looking for tire recommendations, I'm running 14" tires and have had a history of blowouts using cheap "china bombs". I keep a close watch on tire pressures to make sure everything is inflated properly. Who makes a quality trailer tire? Trailer is a single axle with a 18' Bayliner.

robert graham

Admiral
If I knew of a really superior trailer tire(like Michelin) I'd buy it, but I'm not aware of any such tires....I've had a variety of failures/premature wear/poor performance, etc., so I'm back to the Chinese Maypops...check pressures, buy new tires every 3 years, and hope for the best....If you find any really great tires please let us know!....

oldjeep

Admiral
Had decent luck with Kenda tires from e trailer on the last bunch of trailers. Consider upgrading your C to D since on my last boat a Bayliner 195, the C's were right on the hairy edge of the load rating.

Does anyone make a load range E trailer tire for a 14" rim?
I have the same problem as upstech76 only my boat is a 20' (2800 lbs) on a single axle trailer (900 lbs) with 14" x 6" rims on a 4 1/2" bolt circle 5 lug.
I don't want to change hubs to a 15" rim so I need to find heavy tires in a 14".
Anyone know of any?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can keep the same hubs and go to a 15" rim. That's what I did. I did it for ground clearance issues for my trailer mainly.

I know that they make D rated 14" tires. Not many manufacturers make it though.

My last set I switched to Maxxis. Not made in China but not US either. They have a good reputation.

Kuhmo has a good reputation as well. They have a D 14"
https://tiresize.com/tires/Kumho/Radial-857.htm

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Last year I went with radials. It was a tremendous difference from the biased ones that were on there previously. Much smoother ride. I highly recommend radials. My boat is an 18' Bayliner 185BR.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have 9 years on a set of Goodyear Marathons....... Original to the trailer, radial. Not one weather check mark.... Nope, not one...;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have 9 years on a set of Goodyear Marathons....... Original to the trailer, radial. Not one weather check mark.... Nope, not one...;)
You probably have the US made ones. They went to all China for awhile and I heard they are starting to manufacture some of them in the US again.

Personally, I would change out 9 year old tires no matter what they looked like on the outside.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'd go D. Check etrailer they have a good filtering system when shopping to narrow your choices.

robert graham

Admiral
You probably have the US made ones. They went to all China for awhile and I heard they are starting to manufacture some of them in the US again.

Personally, I would change out 9 year old tires no matter what they looked like on the outside.

My 2nd on changing the 9 year old tires....you got your nickel out of them!.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My 2nd on changing the 9 year old tires....you got your nickel out of them!.....
My brother had some Marathons that were that old and one of them blew out on him. I even told him he should have changed them before his trip but he thought the same thing. Since they looked good on the outside, they must be good.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes 9 years is getting up there, mine are going on their 6th year but my trailer is stored inside a barn out of the sun and weather, no cracks, checks or dry markings.
If you have a "discount tire" near you, try them I have some friends that have bought trailer tires thru them with a blowout warranty of some sort. I just had Kuhmo tires put on my suv and they grip quite well on wet pavement and ride well also, pleased so far.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a set of what I believe were original Goodyear Power Cushion tires on an old popup camper. These tires could be 40 years old, and the spare tire didn't have one crack or check in it. Both tires made the 250mile trip home, and on another 60 mile trip without issue. Looked a whole lot better than my 4 year old tires I had on my other popup. I've recently replaced these with new Kenda .

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I've also had good luck with the Goodyears but you are on borrowed time. This was the worst one but I found bulges on 3 out of 4 tires even though the tread looked good. These tires were 10 years old from the mfg. date.

P8160001_zps23be1299.jpg

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Most boat axle bolt patterns are the same as a ford ranger 2 wheel drive, so an LT tire in 14" on aluminum ford ranger wheels looks sharp and can handle Id say a single axle up to 3500 lbs or the axles rating

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have Maxxis radials on two tandem axle trailers. I am satisfied. Made in Thailand. At least it's not China.

I would agree that the 9 year-old Goodyears mentioned in an earlier post are on borrowed time, even if they were U.S. made. I had an old set like that until a couple years ago. They appeared to be in fine shape and I couldn't bear to part with them and replace them with Asian-made. The replacement decision was made for me when the sidewall on one failed (split wide open) while the trailer was sitting static in my driveway.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When I was looking for tires, it seemed like there was so much conflicting information and so little consensus... Maxxis seem to have a pretty good reputation, but are a bit pricey... some people swear by Carlisle, others swear at them... it seemed like a roll of the dice as to which tires to buy.

I ended up buying Kenda Karrier load C radials. (My boat is similar in size to yours.) I really like the feel of the radials over the bias tires they replaced. I've had the tires through two full boating seasons and I've put about 8000 miles on them. They've held up very well so far. I keep the trailer in the garage most of the time time, which helps protect against UV damage.

I figure it doesn't make a lot of sense in my case to buy the most expensive tires, since it seems like 5 years is about the replacement interval. I decided I would just carry a couple of spares and not worry about it.

Good luck!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, I always carry a spare for my 9 yr olds. I figure they shouldn't blow at the same time. Although, I suppose the extra force put on one tire after the other blows could make the second one go. I keep and eye on them......