Trailer Light Help

Strickms

Recruit
I have a trailer with a flat 5 for my surge brakes. If I plug the trailer into my truck everything works properly until i drop the trailer onto the ball. Once I do all lights go out and brakes do not disengage in reverse. If I take it off the ball they all come back on.

I tried two vehicles with the same outcome, also used two different balls/receivers.

This tells me its the trailer, but what? Im confused since it works when the trailer is off the ball.

Help Please!

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is an issue that is way outside my wheelhouse, but it sounds like you have a ground problem. To my knowledge the ground happens when you put the trailer on the ball. Start at the harness and work to the tail lights and make sure everything is in good condition.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Has it ever worked?

Verify all the wires from the plug on the trailer to each light and reverse lock-out are wired correctly. It seems like you may have crossed one or more.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This is an issue that is way outside my wheelhouse, but it sounds like you have a ground problem. To my knowledge the ground happens when you put the trailer on the ball. Start at the harness and work to the tail lights and make sure everything is in good condition.
Welome to the forum and what he said

thumpar

Admiral
Try using a voltmeter to see what is going on. It sounds like when the trailer grounds to the ball it is messing up. Try measuring the continuity of the ground on the truck side and trailer side for continuity to there respective parts with them separated.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
you are grounding a "hot" lead somewhere on the trailer... probably the brake lead.

The surprise is that its not blowing the affected fuse.