Trailer wiring

dpond855

Seaman
Hello folks

My left side lights don't seem to be working. Right side is fine. I have running, blinker, and stop on right but nothing on left. I have a nitro trailer being pulled by gmc 1500. Truck is fine as I used another vehicle to power trailer and got same result. Any help would be appreciated.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The ground for that light may be bad...
or a bad bulb.

If its not LED lighting then the light developing a leak lets water in and the bulb pops instantly when backing the boat into the water since you'll have the brake on. hot bulb and cold water....

Its never anything really hard to fix.

Warriorde52

Cadet
Use an ohm meter to check the bulb. Many times a bulb can look good but that's not the case. Of the bulb checks out good, you need to find the point of last known voltage to find your problem. Use the voltmeter to check for voltage from the bulb at every connection back to the truck outlet.

While I would be certain it is a bulb, it very well could be a poor corroded ground connection as well.

That's about all the advice I can say without knowing if the bulbs good or if you have power to the bulb.

dpond855

Seaman
Use an ohm meter to check the bulb. Many times a bulb can look good but that's not the case. Of the bulb checks out good, you need to find the point of last known voltage to find your problem. Use the voltmeter to check for voltage from the bulb at every connection back to the truck outlet.

While I would be certain it is a bulb, it very well could be a poor corroded ground connection as well.

That's about all the advice I can say without knowing if the bulbs good or if you have power to the bulb.

I have leds on the boat

Bondo

Staff member
I have leds on the boat

Ayuh,.... I thought it's the wagon lights that ain't workin',..??

Ya need a Test Light to see where ya got Power, 'n where ya don't,....

Bein' Led lights, I'd start by checkin', 'n securin' the Grounds,....

dpond855

Seaman
So I figured out the problem. Running and stop/ blinker light wires were frayed at one spot. Almost like a mouse ate them. Then that caused my truck fuse for trailer left turn and stop signal to blow. All working perfect now 😄