Atwood Surge Brake Dragging

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 20ft tandem axle boat trailer with drum surge brakes on one axle with a Atwood actuator. The brakes have been dragging and one has locked up on two occasions. I have replaced inner/outer wheel bearings and grease seals so I have eliminated that as being the issue. When I press down on the actuator it goes down about 1/2" before I feel any pressure and I have to pull it back to the "released" position at the 1/2" mark. Where should I start looking as to what is causing the issue?. When I had the hubs off doing the bearings I backed the brake adjusters as far loose as they would go

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Its the spring on the hitch not holding the brakes off. If the spring lets the trailer forward toward the ball, then the brake cylinder will actuate the brakes.

When that spring gets weak, its the same as holding pressure on your car's brake pedal.

You should probably take it to a trailer shop for expert adjustment.

alldodge

Staff member
Your issue with only one wheel leads me to a brake cylinder, line or fitting. The springs in the axle should be retracting the shoes, so if their not doing that then check your brake cylinder first. If the brake cylinder hangs the shoes will also drag. In most cases it will not be the line or fitting, but if cylinder checks out, go their.

If both wheels were dragging then it could be the master cylinder. It uses a shock to slow the pressure being applied and released, and a spring to return the coupler back to position.

atwood 2.jpg

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Both wheels were dragging. One hub was extremely hot to touch the other was hot and hard to turn/locking up. I talked to a local trailer shop and he said it sounds like the shock went bad. Last year I moved the trailer around and it seemed like the trailer brakes would engage with hardly any force