Wheel Chock Suggestions

jkust

Rear Admiral
I am picking up my new boat tomorrow and will need to park it on my angled driveway until I bring it to my lake house to live which could be a few weeks. I can't seem to locate any wheel chocks locally/ conveniently located that are up to the chore. All of the ones I'm finding are hollow plastic or not able to handle this much weight. The new Boat and trailer are around 6000 lbs. Does anybody have a suggestion of a creative means to hold the tandem trailer and boat in place while on my angled driveway in time for tomorrow's pick up?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Buy a 4X4 and saw big wedges..... great wheel chocks

To get extreme... buy a set of the short ramp/stands so you ccan crawl under a car to work on it... those should chock just about anything.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How steep is the incline? If it's not too steep, bricks, blocks, logs, almost anything will work. Make sure whatever you use is against the wheels by letting the trailer slowly drift into the "chocks" before unhooking the trailer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Go to a pick-a-part salvage yard, grab a few sets of the steel chocks from an s-10 blazer. I have 4 sets. Cost me $5

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I havent done this yet but im going tp use chu ks of landscape timbers, put some eyebolts in a a couple feet of rope attaching the two together

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I havent done this yet but im going tp use chu ks of landscape timbers, put some eyebolts in a a couple feet of rope attaching the two together

Essentially the way the military made wheel chocks for until someone convinced them to pay $500 a pair.

4X4 or larger and a saw + eye bolts and rope... paint the wood. Done.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A set came with the trailer, but built a little heavier. I love 'em...... Push the lever down, usually, to set 'em and lift up to release....

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the suggestions all. In a pinch, I stopped at a West Marine I didn't even know existed across town and they had some that are rated at 7500 lbs a piece. Hard to believe given they are plastic but they are doing the job plus I put some nailed together 2x6's in front of the second set of wheels on the tandem trailer.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I use a brick :twitch: but i have a small boat :facepalm:.

The HF chocks look pretty good :)

sewoodruff

Recruit
A length of chain through both wheels and an "s" hook works really well and the chain can be used for other purposes when you're done using it for the trailer. I can't remember when I didn't at least a couple lengths of chain in the garage.

oldjeep

Admiral
A length of chain through both wheels and an "s" hook works really well and the chain can be used for other purposes when you're done using it for the trailer. I can't remember when I didn't at least a couple lengths of chain in the garage.

You must really hate your wheels.