surge brakes

player123

Recruit
I recently bought boat trailer and 1 brake locks up randomly and not familiar with surge brakes, any advice?

thumpar

Admiral
It is time to inspect. Pull the wheels off and look at the brakes. Is it disk or drum?

player123

Recruit
it is drum and everything looks ok no rust or corrosion , I towed about 200 hundred miles and it locked up twice on way home, as soon as I pulled over it seamed to release

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Or the inner grease seal on the wheel is dropping grease on the hub. Used to be a common problem on cars when they still had rear drum brakes.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Or the inner grease seal on the wheel is dropping grease on the hub. Used to be a common problem on cars when they still had rear drum brakes.

Can I ask what causes this? I replaced/repacked bearings last spring and this bring I see gease building up inside the brake drum on the components. The rear seal looks perfectly fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you usn Bearing Buddies and pump grease into them even after they are full? Get a lot of people that think pumping grease into these everytime they go out is a good thing.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do you usn Bearing Buddies and pump grease into them even after they are full? Get a lot of people that think pumping grease into these everytime they go out is a good thing.

I've tried to take note of seeing everyone else incorrectly do that. I might add a couple pumps once or twice throughout the year.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I might add a couple pumps once or twice throughout the year.
That's likely the reason you have blown your seals. Once they are full, never a need to add more grease. You can push on the piston and see if it can rock. If it can rock, no need to add more grease.