Trailer u bolt help cant find mine anywhere

stretch751

Cadet
I'm replacing the trailer springs and simply can not find the proper square u bolts size 3/8 x 2 x 2. The nut currently sits 1 1/4 up the threads now, so i could use ones slightly longer but would definitely run out of threads I have looked at numerous sites and even having them custom made. Any help is appreciated.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I had some challenges looking for mine butx found some on an offroad vehile site . A bit pricey but then would have worked. Mine were not for springs so i went a different way. For spings stay with regular. Do you have a trailer manufacturer?

stretch751

Cadet
It is a Seabird trailer apx 35 years old. On their site they list 2 trailers for this size boat, 1000# and 1300#. The label is long gone on this trailer. Thanks for the help.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any spring / suspension shop should be able to bend new u bolts. I added 2" drop blocks to my trailer, took the dimensions I needed and within 10 minutes had 4 new u-bolts with nuts. Threaded section ended up a little long but nothing a grinder wouldn't take care of.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
May want to try sturdy built trailers in Bradenton ( the have an online store) and only have galvanized, however I believe they have the odd size you need

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've had a couple of thoughts: The first is: is there any reason why the thread has to be 3/8"? I can see where the length and the width should be more or less the same, but the thickness? Here's one that is 2 1/8" wide by 2" high by 1/2" thick:

I recognize it's 1/8" wide but this isn't exactly an internal engine part, is it? Better a hair wide than too narrow.

My second thought is to find a 2" wide bolt that is too long, then take a 3/8"-16 die to it and cut new threads beyond where the current ones end. I recognize it would be a bit of a pain because it's a u-bolt instead of a straight bolt but it can be done with a vise, a die, and an ordinary wrench. I just did a straight bolt to see how much trouble it would be and got excellent results without much work.

Let us know if neither of these are workable for you and I'll look further.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can order them online from Grainger. You don't show a location, assuming in the US, but I'm sure you can find a location near by.
Google Grainger.com & then search the part # 5YY40

They are 2" inside & 4 5/8" long with the thread extending up 3". Leave or cut off the excess.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
index.jpeg Something doesn't sound right in the dimensions you have listed. 3/8" 2" x 2".
Like this, 2 x 2 square? I would think that the u-bolts would be 2 1/8" by about 4" long ( at least ).
Not sure how the nut could be 1 1/4" up the thread if the u-bolt is only 2" long.
Or I don't understand what your dimensions are.

2Q==

Last edited:

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
bwkre I think he means the thread size is 3/8 and the dementions would be 2 by 4 with 2 inches of the 4 being threaded and the other two just round. I could be way off though.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
bwkre I think he means the thread size is 3/8 and the dementions would be 2 by 4 with 2 inches of the 4 being threaded and the other two just round. I could be way off though.

That makes more sense to me, now that I think of it. If he's running out of threads with a 4" long U-bolt, just get an appropriately sized die with coarse threads and spin a few more threads onto it. It's not hard... you just need the die. 7/16", 3/8", and 1/2" are all very common sizes. You can use a crescent wrench to hold the die, since the U-bolt precludes using the usual die holder (at least normally... you could use it but it might be awkward).

acicomp

Seaman Apprentice
You may have already located what you were looking for, but Northern Tool may have what you are looking for.