Trailer empty weight

MarkcGreenman

Recruit
When I tried to register my trailer in Washington, they stated I needed a certified trailer empty weight. Can I get this without going to a lake, putting the boat in the water then going and finding a CAT scale to weigh? I have the VIN number. Just purchased the boat and trailer from my father and he lives in a different state.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Perhaps the trailer maker can provide the weight, but I doubt it'll be certified, its a used trailer.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
email the manufacturer of the trailer, supply them with your vin, they will email you back the certified shipping weight. while at it, ask for the vin specific parts list. I have done that with my last two trailers down here in FL

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the forum and wow that is a lot of red tape for a trailer

thumpar

Admiral
Did you get the paperwork from the owner? It should be listed. I am not sure where you are in WA but I have used different offices when running into trouble like this. The one by my old house would give me problems on everything. I found an office that is easier to go through.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Are you certain they are asking for the "empty weight" and not the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)? That information would be on the sticker on the trailer tongue or on the frame rail at the rear of the trailer.