Tire wearing on inside and outside

2001procraft

Recruit
Hi, I have and older boat and trailer. I noticed last week when I parked the boat, the passenger side tire was wearing on the inside and outside of the tire. Last year I replaced both tires and the driver side tire looks fine it's the other one tread in the middle of the passenger tire still looks new. This is our first boat so I know little to nothing about about been an owner, looking for help.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Definitely under inflated tire.
I have learned from this site that trailer tires should be inflated to the amount shown on the tire unlike car tires. Mine say 50lbs. That's where I keep them...50 lbs.

robert graham

Admiral
I had new Carlisle trailer tires from Walmart and after 500 miles the treads started coming off....Walmart wouldn't stand behind these obviously faulty tires.....replaced them with another brand. I'd been running Carlisle tires for over 15 years with good results, so not real happy with them now. And I check/ maintain tire pressure right on 50 PSI as on the sidewall....For some reason the trailer tires just don't seem to hold up like car tires.....maybe because of the way they're used/left sitting for weeks or months at a time I guess???

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would agree with the underinflation.

My problem is that all my tire gauges read too low according to the new digital gauges and the sensors in my tires.

My pickup's rear tires call for 80 psi and I have to put in 95 on my gauge in order to get the dash to read out 80 psi. I had them checked by Big O Tire and they told me that my dash reads correctly. New digital gauges are supposedly more accurate then the dial types.

Just about all I know or think I know.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
New digital gauges are supposedly more accurate then the dial types.
very few applications require 80 psi. Thus, your typical gauge isn't calibrated in that range. I'm guessing you'll find it reads fine in the typical 30-50 psi range

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Could be a symptom of bearing wobble... but most often that is from underinflation/overloading.

Check inflation (costs nothing at any good tire store)
Also have the bearings checked if you don't know how to do it yourself.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I have the same issue right now, except it is both tires.

I'm a stickler for tire pressure, and have always run them at recommended pressure on the sidewall (50 on these tires). They have never been under inflated.

They were fine for the first 2 years, now, both tires are wearing on the tread sections closest to the center.
Last summer, I put on less than 1000 miles, and they started showing the wear last fall.
The outer most tread sections and shoulder are fine though.

The bearings showed no wear or looseness, but I pulled them and repacked them last week.

2500# trailer
3500# axle
rolling weight less than 2000#

I'm thinking that these 2 tires will now be my spares.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What about axle and spindle alignment? Could be that the axle is bent somewhat.

New tires have more flex in the treads so they probably won't wear quite as fast.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm a stickler for tire pressure, and have always run them at recommended pressure on the sidewall (50 on these tires). They have never been under inflated.

They were fine for the first 2 years, now, both tires are wearing on the tread sections closest to the center.
Last summer, I put on less than 1000 miles, and they started showing the wear last fall.

The bearings showed no wear or looseness, but I pulled them and repacked them last week.

2500# trailer
3500# axle

Center of tread only wear tends to indicate over inflation or tires that are overkill for the load. If I see that I typically don't worry about it if they are not over inflated.

Last edited:
Most likely you have a spindle out of line. If your wear is on the inside or on the outside edge you spindle must be toed in or out.

bassman284

Commander
Thing is, the OP is having wear on BOTH the inside and outside. I would normally say this is due to under inflation as the most likely explanation. The OP has not come back to report inflation levels so I'll stick with that. His passenger side tire is under inflated and the driver side is correct. Maybe a slow leak in the passenger side.

roscoes deal is ove rinflation. Certainly could be correctly inflated but way to strong for the application, so still over inflated, one way or the other.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Thing is, the OP is having wear on BOTH the inside and outside. I would normally say this is due to under inflation as the most likely explanation. The OP has not come back to report inflation levels so I'll stick with that. His passenger side tire is under inflated and the driver side is correct. Maybe a slow leak in the passenger side.

roscoes deal is ove rinflation. Certainly could be correctly inflated but way to strong for the application, so still over inflated, one way or the other.

But, mine is on the inside and outside sections as well.
The center section is good, the section on each side of the center is wearing.

Photos to come, in a few hours.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
OK, here is a photo.
Can't really see the wear, and I tried several shots, but this will show where the wear is occurring.
Tread contacts road, all the way across.
Sidewall is straight, no bulging.

I've towed trailers many thousands of miles over the years, often with very light loads, or no loads, and a couple trips across the country where the load was at capacity.
But I never experienced wear similar to this.

Tires have 4000 - 4500 miles on them, 3 years old.

Wear is only in the 2 circled sections.
It looks a little like heal-toe wear, or second rib wear.
Center, and outer edges of the tire look smooth and even.

0d 1 - 1.jpg

Attachments

• 0d 1 - 1.jpg
    0d 1 - 1.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 0

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've had the exact thing happen and I am also a stickler for proper trailer tire pressure. I've yet to explain it too. If my computer on my truck is accurate at all, my gauge is just fine.... Tires aren't old and original to the trailer. Could be tire brand, just trailer tires as a whole, who knows. Not sure there is an answer.......

Most likely you have a spindle out of line. If your wear is on the inside or on the outside edge you spindle must be toed in or out.
For the OP - I think most of us are in agreement. You have under-inflated tires because you are getting uneven wear on both sides but not the center. Make sure that you are inflating when the tires are cold, or else compensate if you have to drive 5-10 miles to the nearest air pump.

To Roscoe who hijacked this thread - As some have said you could have a spindle out of line or the toe/camber could be off. However, with boat trailers one must also consider the weight rating for the trailer. Trailers are made with a specific boat weight in mind so that the tires ride flat. If you put too light of a boat on a trailer, the tires will have a positive camber creating uneven wear on the outside of both tires. If you have a boat that is heavier than the trailer rating or you routinely pack your trailer with lots of extra weight (fuel, coolers, hunting/camping/fishing gear), it will push the tires out to a negative camber creating uneven wear on the inside of both tires.

I didn't realize it until a few years after buying my first new boat, but the dealership sold me a 16ft boat with a trailer designed for heavier 19-20ft boats. There I never have enough weight in there and the tires always wear out on the outside. If I put a ton of beer, water, and gear in the boat the tires ride evenly.

bassman284

Commander

2500# trailer
3500# axle

OK, I misread your post. I thought the center was wearing. I've seen your picture now and I have no idea what causes although I think I remember seeing that wear pattern on my Marathons a few years ago. I've got Hercules tires on now and haven't seen anything like that on those.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I did hijack.
Didn't start out to do that.
Just thought maybe we were having the same problem and thought I'd comment.
But, then it was late at night and I started typing and my fingers were actually working on the keyboard and , well see, just like that.

Going to do some measuring to make sure the axle is the same distance from the coupler, on both sides,
Pretty sure the wear pattern would be a bit different if the axle was running on an angle, but who knows. Other than that, I have run out of ideas and resources.
Then I will go tire shopping, as I plan on towing about 2000 miles in May.