Odd trailer hub size

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Needed to replace the hub on an OLD tandem boat trailer. Figured it would be an easy replacement but not so. 1 inch spindle size and it is 4.25 inches long with 1.25 inches of that being the threads. Old hub and replacement hub are the same length (4 in). New hub fits the spindle but doesn't leave enough thread out to put the nut on. Turned out that the inside bearing on the old hub is recessed into the hub considerably more, as is the outer bearing! They are only 2 inches apart inside the hub and this allows the splidle to be sticking out far enough to be threaded. No trailer store knows anything about this. Only ID on the hub is 58000. Bearings are the same! This trailer has no axles, just spindles.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can you post pictures they sure help in better understanding what you are talking about. I got an idea but will wait for pictures first.

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
The bearings and races are the same. Actually the bearings/races are interchangeable with all the other hubs I have tried. Its the inside of the hub that allows the race to be seated further into the hub, (both inner and outer). If I could get the races recessed further in on each end it would fit. However to do this the inside of the hub would need to be machined down about 5/8's" on each end. This would be a lot easier I think than trying to replace the spindle with a longer one. I wish I could get pics, so far posting them is far beyond my capabilities. I spoken with several trailer supply business and they are oblivious to this. However one old timer my buddy was chatting with knew exactly what we are talking about but could only say "good luck" in finding one. Again, 58000 is the only hub number to be found.

birdland71

Cadet
I had a similar problem--I believe you could have a short spindle like I do. I put it in a full post at http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...er/s/starcraft-boats/10001621-starcraft-_____

Here's a picture of what I had to deal with on mine:

fetch

If it helps, I can lookup where I bought the kit for the short spindle. It was online.

Tdub

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, if you wouldn't mind that would be a big help. Thanks