Boat trailer Hub selection help - purchased wrong hub

cenkaetaya

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I am trying to fix my boat trailer wheel.

I purchased a 1inch hub - which is the diameter of my axe.

I started to put it on and noticed that it would not go all the way in and that the hub was much too wide for the axle end. However, the old hub is also this wide but it kinda went over the "ridge" on axe.

Looking at all the hubs online i dont see any mention of how "wide" the actual hub is. Basically I am just trying to purchase the correct hub and if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some photos of what I am have here:

http://imgur.com/a/9CDY0

robert graham

Admiral
I just recently replaced my hubs, bearing, seals, lug nuts, etc.as a package....I took one of my old hubs to Northern Tools and the sales guy looked/measured mine and matched it up perfectly. There's lots of different hubs and they look a lot alike to the untrained eye. I believe Tractor Supply and several others carry hub kits....mine were about $47 each....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
X 1 with the bearing race, it has to be pulled off. And clean the old grease off completely.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You need to remove the inner race and really scrub that axle down to clean it of grease.

cenkaetaya

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, I will look at this tomorrow and update you all. I really appreciate the help.

cenkaetaya

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. So the tire has been repaired! http://imgur.com/a/9CDY0 if you scroll to the bottom of the album i added new photos.

The part I purchased was in-fact correct. Removing the old bearing was not easy. I ended up having to saw it through. Since the old bearings broke it caused a little bit of damage to the axle. The damage was very minor but the new bearing would not slide on to the axle. I used a sander to give the axe a quick sand in the spots where the damage was and it went on perfectly.

The whole process took about 1.5-2 hours.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Your lug nuts are on backwards.
​And is the bearing cap bent in? It should be rounded on top I think, Sometimes when you put them on they can get bent, and hit the end of the axle, and wear through getting metal shavings in the bearing.....

NYBo

Admiral
Your lug nuts are on backwards.

​And is the bearing cap bent in? It should be rounded on top I think, Sometimes when you put them on they can get bent, and hit the end of the axle, and wear through getting metal shavings in the bearing.....

Yes on the lug nuts, probably not on the cap. The cap is too regular and smooth to have been bent into that shape, IMO.

cenkaetaya

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, thanks for the lug nuts, I will change those.

The metal cap is good. It just needed to be gently tapped onto the end of the wheel.