Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi tow vehicle

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I have just about given up on buying a diesel tow vehicle. I either can't afford the purchase of a newer one or can't afford the potential pricey repairs if I buy an older one. So I am considering a 2010 - 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. How are they for towing? I know the Dodge website says they can tow 10k, but I know that is a crock of something.

My boat weighs 2500 dry, so I am thinking around 4100 with gear and trailer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
10,000 pounds is very feasible. The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is up to 9200 pounds depending on options. The diesel engine weighs a lot more than a Hemi.

A Hemi 1500 will laugh at 4100 pounds.

oldjeep

Admiral
I've been towing with an 09 Hemi Crewcab since it was new, no complaints at all. 4100 and you won't even notice it is there, mine is around 6K and I hardly notice that (except mileage wise)

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks. That is great to hear. There are several 2010 crew cabs around here at decent prices with around 100k miles. What mileage should I try to stay under?

oldjeep

Admiral
Thanks. That is great to hear. There are several 2010 crew cabs around here at decent prices with around 100k miles. What mileage should I try to stay under?

I've got a 2009 that is the same as a 2010. It has 132K miles on it and the only problem I've had with it is that my key fobs don't want to unlock the doors any more. Other than that it has just been tires, brakes, shocks, plugs, oil.

There are not really any common engine/trans issues that I know of outside of the exhaust manifold stud issue. Just make sure that any used one you buy does not have a tick on startup and if it does have the exhaust manifold studs inspected for broken ones.

fieromx3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you can afford it find one with an 8 speed. the trans. in them are supposed to be pretty stout and the 8 speed really makes a difference while towing.. i just dont like the little shift knob lol i have a friend who had a 2014 ram 5.7 8 speed, and i have driven ALOT of them with my job and they are torquey. speed wise it isnt faster than my truck but i think it would be better matched for towing than my truck... plus i love the rear suspension setup on them, being coil suspension rear they needed to have trac bars and i cant remember the name but i want to say lateral bar? to keep the rear ended from swaying side to side so the rear suspension is very solid!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The 5.7 Hemi is plenty for towing. I have one too. I believe the 2012s are 385hp 400ft lbs torque... Not sure about the 2010s.....Absolutely no reason to buy a diesel.

oldjeep

Admiral
The 5.7 Hemi is plenty for towing. I have one too. I believe the 2012s are 385hp 400ft lbs torque... Not sure about the 2010s.....Absolutely no reason to buy a diesel.

390HP/407TQ for a 2009, I'd expect the 2010 to be the same. Mine has the 6 speed, the 8 speed isn't available until 2013 if I recall

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Would I need 4X4 or would 2 wheel drive be OK? Also, what is the Ram Express? I have seen several online for lower prices than others.

oldjeep

Admiral
Would I need 4X4 or would 2 wheel drive be OK? Also, what is the Ram Express? I have seen several online for lower prices than others.

Depends on your usage. Mine is a 2wd and I live in MN. I just finished a trip to/from Steamboat ski area in a snow storm a few days ago, I've never really wished for 4wd. In the winter I do keep 500-600lbs of sand tubes in the bed and good tires all the way around.

The express as I recall has an SLT level of equipment and painted bumpers or maybe that was the sport? You really just need to look at them and evaluate if they have what you need for options. Even in an SLT there is a pretty wide range of equipment that might be in it. Main thing to look at is the hitch. They had one that bolted to the bottom of the bumper that was a class 3 and the bigger class 4 hitch that bolts to the frame. There is no tow package, all trucks come with heavy duty trans coolers.

Also make sure you can identify the difference between a crew and quad cabs. They are frequently mislabeled and the quads tend to be cheaper. The Crew will have a 5ft 7" bed and the quad has a 6.5 ft bed (Until recently when you can get a 6.5ft bed on a crew as an option)

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Interesting the 3/4 ton had less HP and torque in 2012 at least. Doesn't make any sense. My 2012 3/4 is 383hp and 400torque and the 1/2 tons were 390/407...

oldjeep

Admiral
Interesting the 3/4 ton had less HP and torque in 2012 at least. Doesn't make any sense. My 2012 3/4 is 383hp and 400torque and the 1/2 tons were 390/407...

Makes sense, completely different engine. The 1/2 tons used a newer engine which also has the MDS (cylinder deactivation), the 3/4 tons were still using a previous generation engine, different hardware, injection system and computer.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Where you live, a 2 wheel drive would be fine as long as you don't plan on going east over the mountains....

You won't find a 3/4 ton with MDS......

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
No issues that I see. Just try to get one that had maintenance kept up in it. The thing I notice about dodge trucks more than the others is people who own them trends to use them more as trucks as opposed to just transportation. Just look at condition.

oldjeep

Admiral
No issues that I see. Just try to get one that had maintenance kept up in it. The thing I notice about dodge trucks more than the others is people who own them trends to use them more as trucks as opposed to just transportation. Just look at condition.

True - there are definitely a lot more soccer mom F150's than Rams. Everyone I know who owns a Ram uses it to tow/haul, not just as a big station wagon. The inside of the bed on mine is beat to hell from rocks, mulch, snowmobiles, etc.

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I tow my boat with a '14 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7 (395hp for that year) and the 8 speed, dial shift trans. Its been a great vehicle. With my previous truck, a '99 ford with the 4.6 triton, I always knew when I was towing. The Ram doesn't care at all.

Had a few recalls, but all of them have had to do with the uconnect system and the airbags.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The 5.7 Hemi will tow that like nothing, I doubt you would really notice it. Well other than the added gas cost. 4100 is not much for those trucks and yes the 10k rating is pretty true to life in that most of the time you could haul that with the right set up.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Had a few recalls, but all of them have had to do with the uconnect system and the airbags.

I have 3 vehicles Chrylser/Dodge/Ram all that have been in for those same recalls. Pretty much every newer vehicle on the planet has airbag recalls.... And a bunch not so new...

oldjeep

Admiral
Only recalls I can remember on my 2009 were for a pinion nut (that resulted in dodge installing a new gearset) and a tie rod end.