Towing a Skipjack Open 20

noahsinclair

Cadet
I just got a Skipjack 20 Open and Im wondering if my 2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 2wd w/tow package would pull her out of the water? The ramp is @ Newport Dunes and Id be keeping the boat there, so not town to far. Do you think Id have an issue? Thanks for the response as I'm new to this boat and these forums have been a huge help!

tpenfield

Staff member
what is the tow rating of the Tacoma w/ V6 and towing package?

what is the dry weight + fuel + gear + trailer of the Skipjack 20?

noahsinclair

Cadet
Tow rating is right around 6400 I believe. I know I'll be maxed out but I'm really not towing more than 1/8 of a mile. Boat weight is 3400lbs, 66 gallon fuel tank, trailer is a galvanized pacific double axle, in assuming around 1000lbs.

thumpar

Admiral
Usually a factory hitch will not have the capacity to tow the full tow rated weight. My Yukon is rated for close to 8k lbs but the factory hitch says right on the bumper 5k max. You might want to check the stock hitch limit.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
....would pull her out of the water? The ramp is @ Newport Dunes and Id be keeping the boat there...Do you think Id have an issue?...

I'm assuming you mean Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, Ca. and if so, I've launched many times from Newport Dunes and if you are keeping the boat there, you may only have an issue at extremely low tides as that ramp becomes extremely slippery; and don't try and retrieve from the side of the ramp by the shore.

If you just take a look online at a site that reports tide tables and avoid a time that shows a negative tide, you should be fine.

Mark

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My boat is of similar weight and I pull it with a 4Runner with the same 4.0L engine.
I almost always use 4x4 though on the ramp due to slippery/ gravel/ steep but if traction is there, it has more than enough torque to pull assuming you have traction and enough tongue weight. I actually retrieved and towed a 23ft cruiser last year (around 7K) with minimal effort.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You'll be pulling around 5,000 lbs. with a truck rated to pull at least another 1,000 lbs. so it should be no problem. I tow a similar sized boat with my 2007 Tacoma and my butt dyno says it does a better job of towing than the F-150 I had before it.