Hoosier Scissor (Crank up) Pontoon Trailer Won't Go Up or Down

Jeff4777

Cadet
Hi!

I bought an older hoosier pontoon trailer for my pontoon. I believe it is a 2002. Anyways, its a double axel crank up trailer. I have used my neighbors crank up trailer for many years and never had a problem. My problem is last fall when I took the boat out of the water, I could not get the boat to go down while cranking it. It would not go up either. There seemed to be lots of slack in the other end where you hook it back onto the trailer. My neighbor was able to fix it with a large crowbar. Although, I'm not exactly sure what he did to fix it. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? I don't want to run into this problem again in the future.
Thanks!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Apparently your neighbor knows what is wrong. Talk to him to help you out. But it sounds like the pivot points are rusted and it wont swing like it's supposed to. How about a pic of your setup?

oldjeep

Admiral
Did you pull the lock pin? We've got a hoosier like the one you are describing and that is the only thing I can think of, unless he used the crow bar to get the 2 pieces that the lock pin secures to move apart.

Jeff4777

Cadet
Did you pull the lock pin? We've got a hoosier like the one you are describing and that is the only thing I can think of, unless he used the crow bar to get the 2 pieces that the lock pin secures to move apart.

I'm assuming your talking about the safety pin? That cable that gets tight when you crank the trailer? What two pieces are there that would move apart with a crow bar? Thanks for your help!!

Jeff4777

Cadet
Apparently your neighbor knows what is wrong. Talk to him to help you out. But it sounds like the pivot points are rusted and it wont swing like it's supposed to. How about a pic of your setup?

http://www.hoosiertrailer.com/classic-trailer.php

That is a link to my trailer. The classic crank up trailer. I did talk to my neighbor last year but couldn't understand what exactly he did to fix it. What pivot points are you talking about? Thanks!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The pivot points are anyplace the trailer articulates. The locking pins could be an issue also as mentioned.

oldjeep

Admiral
http://www.hoosiertrailer.com/classic-trailer.php

That is a link to my trailer. The classic crank up trailer. I did talk to my neighbor last year but couldn't understand what exactly he did to fix it. What pivot points are you talking about? Thanks!

Ok, I was wrong, we have a different style than you. Ours is this one http://www.hoosiertrailer.com/bx_and...n-trailers.php

On this style trailer the pin is near the crank and the entire top of the frame pivots back. On yours it looks like only the axle carriage moves.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I owned that exact trailer, but it has been a couple years but... If you crank too high and the limiter cable isn't in place, you can wedge the pulley assemblies together and they can lock. Crawl under and look to see where the cable goes through the pullies.

Might also have to pry the back wheel strut backward a little...
mechanism.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff4777

Cadet
I owned that exact trailer, but it has been a couple years but... If you crank too high and the limiter cable isn't in place, you can wedge the pulley assemblies together and they can lock. Crawl under and look to see where the cable goes through the pullies.

Might also have to pry the back wheel strut backward a little...

That sounds like that may be the problem. I did look at all the pulley assemblies and they all looked like your trailer. I also made sure the pulley's were not locked up by turning them. When you talk about the limiter cable is that the one that one with the "S" hook that gets shorter or longer as you crank? Also, when you say prying the back wheel strut backward, what exactly does that mean? Thanks for your help!! Sounds like this happened to you also!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So in that pic, if you keep cranking, the pulley assemblies will pull towards each other and wedge tight. If yours looks like the pic, you should be good yet. Yep, the limiter cable is a safety that is meant to take the load off the winch when you have the pontoon on it, otherwise you risk dropping it on the ground if the winch lets go.

skip15

Cadet
i have the same trailer and the same problem i have looked under the trailer and the tubes are fully extended out in the up postion can any one tell me how i can get it to go down the boat is on it and i really don't want to get under it and hammer on the tubes and have it come crashing down any ideas